The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Newts & Salamanders (Caudata)
 Newts
 Picky eater: Fire-bellied newt - any suggestions?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jarvispie Posted - 12/04/2011 : 11:47:03
Hi everyone

I am a newbie to The Amphibian Forum and was wondering if anyone had any advice/ideas re varying the diet of my picky Chinese fire-bellied newt.

He's about 11 cm in length and is rather secretive. He mostly makes an appearance when he's hungry. He also likes to be lightly tickled!

Food-wise, he only seems to eat frozen and live bloodworms. I've tried Daphnia and brine shrimp, but he wasn't interested. I also tried floating a few little crickets on the surface of the water, but again, no joy. I'm just a little concerned that his diet isn't varied. Are there any negative long-term effects to a diet consisting only of bloodworms? Is there any other kind of food I could try?

Otherwise, my little guy seems to be healthy and happy!

Many thanks in advance!
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punkman Posted - 17/04/2011 : 09:39:22
although obviously better to feed a varied diet, I wouldnt worry if your newt is eating live bloodworm.
Many years ago I raised my first newt eggs[alpine newts], and as soon as the larvae were large enough started them on live bloodworm.
Two of the resulting newts got a real taste for these and refused to eat anything else at all ever .
I still have one of the newts here, now over 12 year old, still eating only live bloodworm, and doing great.
I use live bloodworm as a staple diet for almost all of my newts here, but supplement with the occasional live tubifex-daphnia whiteworm[easy to culture], earthworm etc.

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000