The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Newts & Salamanders (Caudata)
 Newt & Salamander Health
 feeding trouble!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
overlord Posted - 21/09/2009 : 18:47:24
sorry about all the questions ive been asking lately by the way, but my fire salamander i got 3 days ago does not seem to be feeding i was told that juveniles were to be fed every day to every other day but my one hasnt eaten at all exept when i saw him eat at the pet shop is this because of stress due to moving to a new home i've tried feeding him crickests and a few earthworms but he won't take any. i dested the food with a calcium and vitamin supplement called nutrobal and have been feeding him with farceps.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
overlord Posted - 05/10/2009 : 17:40:25
ok, thnx for the advice
Kazerella Posted - 01/10/2009 : 09:28:23
Try earthworms too- They love them and they are supposed to be very good for them
overlord Posted - 30/09/2009 : 19:13:03
ive been feeding him on small mealworms, were the exoskeleton isn't so tough, planning on getting another soon
lewy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 19:47:34
Congrats! what have you got him eating?
overlord Posted - 27/09/2009 : 17:01:56
he is eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i took him back to the shop and they said he was fine turns out he didnt like the crickets and the woodlice,
overlord Posted - 26/09/2009 : 09:35:36
still hsnt eaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting worried now. gonna take him back 2 the shop and ask na about him
Kazerella Posted - 24/09/2009 : 15:42:26
Just keep trying- what about taking him out and placing him in a small tub and leaving him with the prey for a few minutes.

Maybe without any distractions and no chance of eating any substrate he might eat, especially since they are a little confined so the prey can't go undetected for long. (works with snakes anyway )
overlord Posted - 22/09/2009 : 16:14:59
i dont think it's the size of the crickets im trying to feed him because in the shop the woman who was serving me fed him a wax worm that was larger i have also tried earth worm which i did not feed with the tongs but he still refuses to eat
overlord Posted - 22/09/2009 : 14:27:20
ok thanx, u don't understand how helpfull you have been with all my millions of questions lol
Kazerella Posted - 22/09/2009 : 11:40:51
I think it may be the forceps- my sals were too nervous to take anything from me when I first got them. They are becoming more brave now, so will take food off me, but it's taken time.

And they do like woodlice
lewy Posted - 22/09/2009 : 11:10:12
The prey items could be too big, try getting some small worms and leaving them with him (but get rid of that moss ) you can leave worms without worrying about them hurting your sal. Keep trying various prey items (they like woodlice if you can find a place free from chemicals to collect them) they'll eat small spiders too!

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000