The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Caecilians (Gymnophiona)
 Caecilian Health
 baby caecillians

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toradoisbo Posted - 22/11/2009 : 09:54:14
I have 3 babies and one of them has swelled up like to twice its size and is floating around it seems to be struggling any idea whats wrong and how can I help it
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 27/11/2009 : 19:53:56
Really sorry to hear that
toradoisbo Posted - 25/11/2009 : 17:49:53
thanks for all the help. Sadly the baby died today. I think it was born with a defect but still have mum n dad n 2 babies.
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/11/2009 : 23:20:50
That was my main thought, and unfortunately I don't know what the sexual maturity rate of those are.
But they are incredibly weird to watch mum 'nursing' the young. It looks vicious, I saw it on good ole Attenborough once. I'll see if I can find a vid.

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCF4qmxdkkM
Life in cold blood.
toradoisbo Posted - 24/11/2009 : 22:40:57
ok thanks
probably will go to vets if no change in a couple of days. but when I think about it the mum went the same and then hid in the filter. a few weeks later whilst we were on holiday our mate texted us to say there was 1 baby when we got home there was 3 !!!!!!!
Kazerella Posted - 24/11/2009 : 16:45:24
Not really sure about this.

I know that some amphibians can suffer from bloat, but not sure if this would effect Caecilians too.

Maybe do a bit of research about it and if she is showing more symptoms of it then maybe a trip to the vets might be a good idea.
toradoisbo Posted - 23/11/2009 : 16:39:27
yes our female expanded considerably. We were given 2 last year. The babies are about 2-3 months old not sure as appeared when we came back off holiday. They are about 8 inch long and 2 are as thick as a standard pencil. The other one is 3 times as thick apart from the head it is very sluggish It isnt floating anymore s at bottom of the tank which measures 1000 x 400 x 500mm
Please help I love these things and hate to think it may be suffering.
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/11/2009 : 17:46:21
How old are they roughly??

I don't know a huge amount about them, but when I first read it, it sounded like it might have been pregancy but if they're young, then it wont be.

The reason for why I said that is because the females swell up a huge amount when due to give birth, because the newborn Caecillians feed on the flesh of the mother.

How long have you had them?
What size tank etc do you have them in?

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000