The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Habitat & Housing
 DIY Setups
 Heating in a natural terrarium?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jon.e5 Posted - 18/08/2010 : 17:48:16
I have been planning a naturally planted white's terrarium for quite some time now and it looks like I'll be planting up next month.
I'm going for a 45x45x60cm exo terra with 45 cm dual bulb compact canopy, hydroleca drainage layer and coco panels on 3 sides.

I don't think I'll be able to use a side mounted heat mat because of the coco panels, Also the substrate and drainage layer will be too thick for under tank mat placement.

My question is do you think the compact canopy with 1x Repti Glo 2.0 Compact 13W bulb and 1 x Repti Glo 5.0 Compact 13W bulb will provide enough heat for some whites tree frogs? Or should I go with the 26W bulbs?

Thanks for your time.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ade Posted - 04/12/2011 : 12:13:53
Oops

Sorry for the lack of a reply, I haven't been on here in absolutely ages!

Anyway, so long as you keep an eye on humidity, then your setup should be ok.

For anybody else having heat problems, there are a few hints you can try out that might help:-

1) Try the Lucky Reptile self adhesive heat mats, they seem more efficient than many other brands.
2) If you have your vivs on racks, try putting your White's viv on the highest shelf. Hot air rises, so this is usually the warmest place.
3) If all else fails, you CAN get away with using one of the Exo Terra GU10 clamp lamps (smaller than their normal ones), save money though and put a normal Osram GU10 bulb in it, they give off the same light and a tiny bit more heat than the expensive branded ones. Just remember not to aim the bulb at a perch, as you don't want your frogs basking under it and drying themselves out.
4) Try a different lighting system. Our White's live in a 80cm x 50cm x 60cm viv these days, with a 2x39 watt T5HO luminaire over the top, and a single Lucky Reptile heat mat on one side, and we NEVER have problems keeping it warm enough any more.

Hope this helps somebody, even if it's possibly a little late to help you Vicky.

Ade
Vicky12 Posted - 08/09/2011 : 12:11:41
Hope you dont mind but Im gonna pop in here and ask a question. I have the same size terrarium for my WTF as jon.e5 and currently Im heating it with a 20w heatmat on one side, covered with shiny tin foil until I can find some polystyrene. This doesnt really heat well enough though so I have a 60w general house bulb above to help. My temps are between 74f and 75f during the day, not sure what the night time is at the moment but I should find out after tonight as Ive just changed to a different probe thermometer.

The room that the terrarium is in isnt that warm but I am thinking of moving it.

Does my set up sound alright or should I change to using just heat mats?
Ade Posted - 19/08/2010 : 20:47:41
Either should do the job. My understanding of the pro is that it's just got extra insulation to allow for internal use, which personally I wouldn't do.

You are so going to love your White's, they are fantastic frogs with serious personality. Hope you don't live in a flat with thin walls though, males do love to shout at you, the washing machine, the phone, the TV if it's too loud......

Ade
jon.e5 Posted - 19/08/2010 : 16:25:58
What size heat mat would you recommend for a 45x45x60cm terrarium?
I've found a lucky reptile 20W 39x27cm for £12.44
Or a lucky reptile 20w (pro) 35x20cm for £21.44

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but I want to get it right.
jon.e5 Posted - 19/08/2010 : 15:42:55
Thank you for your help Ade, I'll definitely only cover 2 sides with coco and use a heat mat on the other.
Ade Posted - 19/08/2010 : 11:25:57
You wont get enough heat for White's even with 2 26 watt bulbs.

I will be straight with you, I wouldn't coco panel more than 2 sides for tree frogs anyway. When young they often like to climb the glass, like little in car Garfields. lol Better to cover 2 at most, and place your heat mat on the other side, with polystyrene on the back of it to reflect heat inwards. This also allows for the creation of a heat gradient across their vivarium.

I actually use 2 mats on my White's viv. A 20 watt one on the side (with polystyrene) and a 14 watt one on the base, and 2 26 watt lamps in the hood, and I only just manage to keep temps within the right daytime range for White's, in a room that never drops below 18 degrees Celsius even at night. The matt on the bottom though is actually there to help maintain humidity. It heats the water in my water area and drainage are, causing some to evaporate and thus help raise relative humidity. The mat on the side is for the temperature, hence the higher wattage.

Seriously though, for White's forget using the lighting to get temps right. You would need to use actual heat lamps to do this, and you shouldn't use heat lamps with amphibians as they dry the air too much.

The other alternative of course is to heat the room they are kept in to the right temp range, problem here is though you don't get a good gradient in their vivarium, and this is important for their thermo-regulation.

Ade

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000