The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frogs & Toads - (Anura)
 Frog & Toad Health
 sick FBT's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fbtrescue Posted - 09/07/2011 : 21:10:46
Hi,

I have taken on 4 FBT's and the original owner had very little information for me, except they were very small when they received them in January and when I took them on in May they were still very small.

The previous owner was only feeding them on fruitflies, since I've had them sadly one has died and another is looking very ill indeed. I've looked up the symptoms on line (syptoms were weak back legs and a tendancy to fall on it's back, with a total lack of apetite) and they seem to fit with nutritional deficiences. I'm now trying to feed them meal worms, live bloodworms and tiny crickets as well as fuitflies but none of them seem to be eating much at all now. Is there anything else I can do?

The set up it a shallow dish of water, surrounded by pebbles covered in spagnum (?) moss with a fake plant, some rocks and a slate cave for hiding in, I have no heating or heat mats and am using a light during the day (but not UV). I already own two thriving adult FBT's and it breaks my heart to see these ones so sickly.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you
Meg.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 01/08/2011 : 21:07:46
Awww poor toady

Good luck with the other two x
fbtrescue Posted - 23/07/2011 : 22:45:43
Thank you for your reply, I've removed the lamp and placed the tank in a spot that gets more natural daylight but not in the sun (when we get any!)

Well unfortunately the other very poorly toad died, however the two remaining are now falling over each other to eat the crickets, which are being fed a diet of carrot and dandelion leaves to try to encourage their lovely red colour to come out as they still have just a yellowy tummy.

I have my fingers crossed for the two surviving toads and if they continue eating the way they currently are I have every faith they'll do well

Meg xx
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/07/2011 : 01:53:09
I know very little about FBT's I'm afraid, but from what little I do know, I thought that lamps were generally avoided due to issues with drying out.
Aside from that I cannot give a great deal of input I'm afraid, however we have a few members on here that are good with these little beasts so would imagine that someone else may be able to give some decent input.

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000