The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frogs & Toads - (Anura)
 Toads
 None of my toadspawn hatched...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ChrisLX200 Posted - 15/07/2011 : 07:48:23
Earlier this year I was hopeful of seeing youngsters in my small pond, there were at least 3 toads and eggs were laid:

However, none hatched and I'm suspicious that the eggs were never fertilised - is this possible? We did have success with the frog community so the conditions and water quailty are good.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 09/08/2011 : 14:45:06
Quite possibly

Toads don't tolerate fishies thinking they own the pond

I wonder if they were too hot too. It's weird for them to sunbathe. Maybe he was too busy enjoying the sun and not wanting to make whoopie
ChrisLX200 Posted - 03/08/2011 : 16:44:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I suppose it could be possible. Did you see them in ambiplexus? (love hug)

The frogs might have had something to do with it too. If their spawn did well, it might just be a competition thing.

Never saw them in ambiplexus, just heard calling constantly for about 2 weeks prior to spawning. The eggs just rotted after a couple of weeks.

Another thing - I thought toads would avoid direct sunshine, not this lot - nothing they liked better than sunbathing in the hottest part of the day (combined with regular dips in the water). In contrast the frogs just hide under rocks and remain half submerged.

Here's one, which would sit for hours on this flat rock with it's 'friend':

I have a few fish in the pond too, and they were spawning as well. They would swim up into the very shallow water just below where the toad (above) was sitting and wriggle about half out of the water. I don't know if the toad took exception to being disturbed this way but whilst I was watching he jumped off the stone and landed... right on top of one of the fish. The fish was pinned for a few seconds before struggling free. Maybe the toad was indicating they should go spawn elsewhere... :))
Kazerella Posted - 01/08/2011 : 21:06:29
I suppose it could be possible. Did you see them in ambiplexus? (love hug)

The frogs might have had something to do with it too. If their spawn did well, it might just be a competition thing.

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000