The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Habitat & Housing
 Outdoor Enclosures
 Outdoor enclosures and pond

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
neilshaw Posted - 24/01/2009 : 15:54:14
Here are my outdoor enclosures made with newt fencing, each about 3m square with a pond about 25% of the area. These are new in the last year so hope to have success with breeding Triturus species in these. Each one has hibernacle, just a hole filled with various stuff, wood, leaves, broken pots bricks and covered with logs to about 1 foot above ground.

Here is my large pond (about 30 feet by 20 feet) netted for winter, no fish (removed summer 2008) - which vvv bad for newts whilst larvae and Gt crested Newts (Triturus Cristatus) will avoid ponds with fish. Smooth newts and Palmate (I think) wwill both use ponds with fish but larvae survival is low. I get common frogs, common toads, smooth newts and a low number of Gt Crested Newts which now the fish have gone. I also have an artificial stream that did not have fish and the GCNs used this last year.

*ninja edit by Kehhlyr to enlarge pics*
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 10/04/2010 : 10:59:43
That looks great Punkman!

Have you any advice on how to build one. It's something me and Lewy have considered. It would be great to set up a little colony, just not sure how to make it completely secure.
punkman Posted - 07/04/2010 : 11:28:04

Heres an outdoor enclosure I sorted for Salamandra terrestris terrestris.
It has an underground section for hibernation which has an entrance under the rocks.
They overwintered in there and can now be seen out foraging for food on an evening.
The photo was taken last year, but it now has a good covering of groundcover plants in areas

lewy Posted - 25/01/2009 : 14:04:42
Great stuff Neil, We've been meaning to build a pond and have low lights around it to attract flies for toads and frogs at night.
Not got round to even putting the green house up yet, since we've moved in we've not got round to much in the Garden yet. It would be good to get some wildlife pond tips if you have any?
Kazerella Posted - 25/01/2009 : 12:11:43
You are lucky to get Great crested newts, that's a right addition to your pond.

Do the newts and the toads get on well?

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000