The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Feeding & Foods
 Culturing Livefood
 Bugs from outside

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spend_day Posted - 25/03/2009 : 14:03:15
Just wondering who uses bugs from outside.

in spring summer and autumn i use earthworms found in my garden as part of my salamanders diet (ive asked people next door if they use pesticides and all 3 said no so i feel safe to use them but i do put them in clean soil for a few days before feeding just to be safe) and i sometimes feed moths to my green anoles. just wondered if others use "natures bounty" or if people see it as of much or a risk
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paulusworm Posted - 25/03/2009 : 15:38:56
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

we get a lot of caterpillars on the plants in the summer, has anyone ever tried these? I know certain species can be poisonous but never researched into which ones.

With Caterpillars it's normally the plant that they feed from that enables them to produce a toxin. A normally toxic caterpillar can usually be made safe by preventing it from feeding on its natural food plant. If you check the wildlife gardening websites they advise what plants to put in the garden in order to attract the butterflies to produce the caterpillars which then attract the birds, etc. If I find any guides, etc I'll post them.
Spend_day Posted - 25/03/2009 : 14:49:58
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

We have used woodlice for the toads and no matter if they're small the toads love them. I think the risk only comes in if you collect from places where you don't know what chemicals have been used in. Me and Kaz had a book from the library that says there are more vitamins in wild caught food. It goes on about hedge sweeping and culturing outside with nets around plants etc. Don't think we'd ever go that far but it's interesting reading.

we get a lot of caterpillars on the plants in the summer, has anyone ever tried these? I know certain species can be poisonous but never researched into which ones.

yeah ive had woodlice out of the garden we have a colony that lives under some broken bits of garden wall, they've just starter having young again (went to have a look on them on monday)

had some cabbage white caterpillars on some of my mum radished last year i wasnt sure if they were safe so i left them be but it might be worth looking into i guess
lewy Posted - 25/03/2009 : 14:36:07
We have a worm culture in an plastic bin with a carpet over it and drainage holes, we collected around 50 worms from the garden (we never use pesticides or even fertilizers) They are doing quite well.

We have used woodlice for the toads and no matter if they're small the toads love them. I think the risk only comes in if you collect from places where you don't know what chemicals have been used in. Me and Kaz had a book from the library that says there are more vitamins in wild caught food. It goes on about hedge sweeping and culturing outside with nets around plants etc. Don't think we'd ever go that far but it's interesting reading.

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000