The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Newts & Salamanders (Caudata)
 Newts
 White /Albino Newt

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
browning525 Posted - 26/03/2010 : 22:26:07
Hi everyone....wondered if anyone had ever seen a newt before that was the colour of pure white or lightest shade of pink possible?

I'm a gamekeeper, one thing I look after is a pond. Last year, kids bricked to death over a dozen young mallard ducklings, poached the fish & had late night parties. Now I patrol the acres & pond day & night.

Tonight, I was checking the waters edge & amongst the tree roots that are submerged just inches below the water, I noticed something. Closer inspection ( by torch light ) was a newt, no crest, no markings, looked like pink eyes, & white/lite pink body. Looked like an albino newt. Has anyone ever seen one before? Like an idiot, it was an hour after when I thought " Take a pic with my camera" but by that time, it had gone.

If we have something like this that is 100% endangered, then I'm sure we can takes steps into preseving this site & erect something where the kids/tresspassers cant interfer with them.
Any idea's what this could have been? Im in the East Midlands of England.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punkman Posted - 01/04/2010 : 17:54:39
as kazeralla says, you can get albinos in most species, look here for a pic of an albino alpine newthttp://www.fotosearch.com/JNB006/135938/
However I had a female smooth newt that was very very light in colour, and shone out like a torch asgainst all the others, so it may just be a very light cloured newt?
I thought that mine was albino untill I caught it to take a look and saw that it didnt have pink eyes
Kazerella Posted - 29/03/2010 : 11:43:33
I think albino is a natural occurance in many species, so it could be an albino variety of a common newt, but if I were you I would still contact the environmental agency because a lot of newts native to England are considered endangered or at risk anyway, so they might put extra precautions in place regardless if you can show that it's a place that newts breed.

If you do ever see it again it would be great to see a picture. I'm intrigued.
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/03/2010 : 02:20:27
Roughly how big was it?
did it look like this: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EoHO361yq49J4u3my6ut4g

If so then it was more than likely an Axolotl

If you get a chance to get a piccy that would be fab as it'd make it much easier to identify.

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000