Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  17:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopin the froggies take to eating the babies, and then I can do away with those nasty 'orrible crickets for good and all!!!

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  19:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smallish tub with lid from Wilko's, melt holes in lid with carving fork, put in a couple of layers of egg boxes, pour in adult roaches (20 pairs in there believe it or not)!! Put water gel in small lid on base, an greenery/veg on cardboard on base to stop getting too humid / mouldy, chuck some dried dog food up another corner, put on lid, leave part on heat mat, put box over top to make dark, and leave 'em to it!!

Female

box size from side

From top to show size

Lovely jubbly...

Sit back and wait for babies!!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  06:18:21  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please tell me that you are wearing latex gloves when handling those. We did a practical at uni dissecting those. One of my collegues wasn't wearing gloves and she developed a skin infection within 20 minutes of completing the exercise. They naturally carry some pretty vile bacteria . Don't get me wrong they are amazing organisms but go careful.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jain- you are a braver lady than me. Nasty roaches

Great guide!

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  18:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be daft Paul.... don't do touching any type of crawlies... in fact I nick latex gloves from work for dying my hair etc, but when I have to get anywhere near cricks etc., I make sure I wear marigolds..... the THICK ones...lol.... The only other things likely to go near them is hubby's size 12's if ever one should decide to try straying!!

Also still have some pretty evil roach death spray that I brought back from Jamaica with me, should I ever need to treat anywhere! Dib, dib, dob, dob... Scouts is not the only ones that be prepared!!!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:11:20  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jain

Dib, dib, dob, dob... Scouts is not the only ones that be prepared!!!

haha . Just a bit prepared then.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  09:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whilst in Australia I got attacked by a roach in the night- it was massive!!!! One of my hostel mates chopped it in half, stood on it and flushed it down the toilet. It was still moving as it went. Un-killable!!!! Like Rasputin

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Please tell me that you are wearing latex gloves when handling those. We did a practical at uni dissecting those. One of my collegues wasn't wearing gloves and she developed a skin infection within 20 minutes of completing the exercise. They naturally carry some pretty vile bacteria . Don't get me wrong they are amazing organisms but go careful.

Wow, I never knew that.
We ofen hold them at college with no gloves or anything.

Good luck with the colony Jain

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:23:15  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you get a chance to disect one go for it. If you do it in a water tray under a disection scope you can see all the detail. The amount of fatbodies that they can store is phenomenal. Not to mention the proventriculus which looks like something from "Alien".

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

If you get a chance to disect one go for it. If you do it in a water tray under a disection scope you can see all the detail. The amount of fatbodies that they can store is phenomenal. Not to mention the proventriculus which looks like something from "Alien".

I take it you were responding to Dan.... the nearest I get to a microscope nowadays is wearing two pairs of me spec's to look at very tiny writing!! although I still get to wear gloves and apron occassionally when I'm out on a monitoring/inspection visit if the s***t hits the fan and there's the occassional crisis and I get roped in... lol...

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooooooeyyyy!!! Just noticed I'm a tadpole now.... getting close to Kaz's new hatchlings.... lol

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  09:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's better than being pond weed

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  15:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've joined your roachey gang now Jain- we bought 50 Dubia and 50 Lobster roaches from Reptiles-ink at the York Rep night.

Any tips on what they like to eat?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  20:11:01  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Any tips on what they like to eat?

Just about anything mate.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2009 :  11:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You fibber! They don't like cucumber

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  08:24:12  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

You fibber! They don't like cucumber

Really!!! I'm genuinely shocked . They'll normally eat anything. Perhaps it just wasn't funky enough for them yet.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000