New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  22:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from vet with Nessie. You wouln't believe how hard it is to find a knowledgable amphibian vet. We have a nationally known zoo here in st louis so I called them. They were'nt the most helpfull without seeing her(and wouldn't see her) But they gave me some names. I seen a exotic pet vet. He at least knew what type of animal I was talking about, but he had never treated one! He took some skin scapings and sent some off to check for fungus', and looked at one to check for living orgs(none found).Twice a day I'm to put benadine and then sulfadiazine cream on the spots and put crushed up metronidazole pills in water and do a 20% water change everyday. I did put her in a 20 gallon tank for now to make prossess a little easier. I never thought I would be taking a worm to the vet!! But here we go. Hopefully it will all work out!!

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  21:13:02  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amphibian vets are hard to find in most places, sounds like you've found a decent one though.
If it turns out to be fungus it should be easily treated.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  09:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is true about amphibian vets, in fact we sometimes struggle to find decent reptile vets for our snakes, so our 'phibs normally have no chance.

Thank goodness for the internet

Let us know how he goes on

Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  01:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to update, Vet called and said it is fungal. I can tell you its an ordeal to treat her. I know its stressing her greatly, but what do ya do? I did post a video of me and wifey (and cat) treating her if anyone is interested its on youtube under the heading "treating nessie the worm". It still doesnt seem worse but not better either. Wanted to thank you guys too, the forum is really cool and you've all been supportive. Some people you run into on net are a little arrogant. I'm kinda new at the computer thing and I know it shows, but I'm trying! I've enjoyed poking around on the forum. I'm not going anywhere but wanted to tell you all that. Hope you enjoy the video and will update you soon! Nikk
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nikk -glad you like the site. Just wish we could have helped you a bit more with Nessie

Nessie is a lot bigger than I thought she'd be! She does look active and healthy though, so I'm sure she's fight off the fungus eventually.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdTrtaBTh8

Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  21:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nessie is looking much better. She just shed her skin again, and started eating a little bit. Hoping to have her back in her regular tank within the week. My wife keeps saying the fish miss her!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  14:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great news!

How many treatments did it take?

Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  22:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started treating her on march 29, twice a day, and am still doing it. She looks really good today, so I'm thinking about thursday this week putting her back. The spots are virtually gone but I'm afraid of putting her back to soon and it re-occuring. I wish I knew why she got this. It would make it much easier to protect against it again. I take it her old age had something to do with it. She's always been healthy, heck in 1992 when I moved across the country she went with me in a 5 gallon bucket! There and back! Oh well, at least shes better now.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  11:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have the fish got any symptoms of anything similar? It's weird if the fungus only attacked her

Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  00:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO, the other fish are fine. Really thats what confused me most. Nothing had changed in my tank. I've had most of my fish for years and pride myself on having a stable and healthy tank. With the white spots I thought it might be ick, but last time I had that terrible thing was like 12 years ago and she didn't get it. I don't think she can, but am not positive. But when I had it last I lost 5 fish before I could get it under control. I'm not sure how she could get a fungus with no one else being affected. As I said, maybe age.
Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another update, Nessie looks great and is back in big tank!! I cant tell you how glad I am to have that ordeal over with! I'm sure she is too!!
Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  10:20:58  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great news that nessies made a recovery! Glad you like the forum I know what you mean about some places on the net being full of arrogant people, that's why we set our websites up; I was sick of posting on other sites and either being ignored or just being nasty in their response. It's just not needed I always aim to keep our forums as friendly possible.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000