Tank for an Axolotl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sylv
Pondweed

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  21:52:24  Show Profile  Click to see sylv's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi. I hope to be getting my first axolotl sometime soon, i was just wondering what size tank i would need for one axolotl? Also, could anyone tell me how to keep the tank at the right temperature?

Any tip would be much appreciated, thanks. (:

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  13:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Axies are quite active so as big as possible is adviced, but realistically I would say a 2ft would be the minimum for one adult.

Water temps can be controlled by keeping the tank in a cool room without direct sunlight or radiators too close to up the temps.

In emergencies when it's really warm a fan pointed at the top of the water or a old pop bottle with iced water inside placed in the tank can be used.

Go to Top of Page

Saures
Pondweed

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  13:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see Saures's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's all you need to know really. Here's a website which helped me decide on getting axolotls and how to house, feed and care for them http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm
I hope you find the perfect tank :D

What size fish tank should I buy?
10 gallon fish tank is good size for Axolotls.

How many Axolotls can I have in a 10 gallon fish tank?
Axolotls are social animals so you need to have at least Qty 2 in a 10 gallon fish tank. If it is not possible to have Qty 2 Axolotls then put a feeder fish in with your Axolotl.

What about lighting?
You do not need a tank light for your Axolotl. Look for a location that has indirect sun light and the tank in a cool place away from any heater vents.

What kind of filter is best for an axolotl tank?
A sponge filter is cheep and easy to clean.

Does an axolotl need a hiding place?
Yes an Axolotl does need a hiding place.

How often do you feed an Axolotl?
I feed two times a week Monday and Friday. After 24 hrs remove all uneaten food. It is better to feed too little than too much.

Can I pick up and hold my Axolotl?
Please do not picking up or hold your Axolotl because the Axolotl bone structure is very fragile and if they would fall that would probably kill them. Also Axolotls use their tails to turn 90 degrees less that a second as part of their defense. The Axolotl quick movement is something you cannot anticipate and you will be putting the Axolotl at great risk of injury and death.

Do Axolotl eat gravel?
Yes, I do not recommend that you use gravel in your tank. You can paint the “outside” bottom of the tank any color you want. Please note do not paint the inside of the tank.

What about the water?
Axolotls like Cold Clean Water. You can use tap water for your water changes but let the water run so that it gets as cold as possible. You need to change water once per week and up to 100%. It is better to change too much water than too little. If your tap water is safe for you to drink then it will be safe for an axolotl that is 3 months or older, so you can leave the chlorine in your water. However, if your tap water is not safe to drink then it would not be safe for your Axolotl. Axolotl have lungs and are air breathers and unlike fish that have gills and would breathe the chlorine in the water. The chlorine will turn into a gas and be out of the tank within 24 hrs. By leaving the chlorine in your water it will kill any harmful bacteria that may be on the axolotl or in the tank. Taking time to do water changes each week will greatly extend the life of your Axolotls. You should keep the water flow at a minimum because the water current can cause Axolotls to be stressed from fighting the current. You will see that the Axolotl spend most of the time in the same spot, moving their gills occasionally to disperse carbon dioxide and circulate new oxygen.

What is the best food to feed an Axolotl?
1) Live food is the best then 2) frozen food then 3)pellets, but use pellets when you run out of live food or frozen.

My room temperature is around 76F with no cooling what do you recommend?
I would recommend that you put the tank on the floor. It should be cooler on the floor away from any heating vents. You need to maintain a temperature of less than 72F degrees.

Should I use ice bottles to keep the temperature down?
If you want to use ice bottles, you can kill your Axolotl. Changing temperature rapidly is an easy way to kill your axolotl than if you maintain a high stable temperature. Ice bottles cause the temperature to go down too fast. After the ice melts the temperature will begin to climb back up once again. This is a very effective way to kill your axolotl because the temperature changes are too rapidly.

:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000