New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ralphymc
Pondweed

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  14:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been recommended mario worms as part of my horned frogs diet, they are pretty much similar to mealworms in looks despite the size and the nippy mandebles, norman seems happy to take them along with everything else I give him (or her!)I'd just like to know if anyone else has had experience with the marios as the nasty nip was enough to make me jump I'm a touch worried for the frog's safety!

ralphymc
Pondweed

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  14:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll correct the spelling, excuse my ignorance, morio worms!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  02:44:06  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've given some of my animals Morio worms, I just used some fine tweezers to either pull the 'fangs' out of the morio, or crushing the head.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

ralphymc
Pondweed

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  10:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, i'm just trying to vary the diet as much as possible, i dont have much experience with frogs although i am an experienced reptile keeper, i'd just like to do right for the frog!do they require calcium suppliments? i'm using 5.0 and 10.0 uva/uvb compact flourescents on alternating time cycles along with nightlight just for the hell of it, i'm aware of metabolic bone desease and the need for uv even in nocturnal species, i kept and successfully bred tokay's so the former's viv was ideal as a frog habbitat being 'set-up' primarily as a tropical rainforrest habbitat, the only problem i have is the frogs poop's!are there any bugs or worms available that'll enjoy chomping on frog waste?????? not a nice thought but there's a creature for every purpose!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  13:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes- springtails do a great job of eating amphibian poo. They are tiny too and avaialble online. I think woodlice are great for that kind of thing too, but don't last long before coming dinner themselves.

MBD is only a worry if you don't suppliment often enough. Just dust the insects every other feed and you should be ok.

Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  13:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tropical springtails in my WTF terrarium, and would totally back what Kazerella has said. Poops tend not to last more than a day before thousands of springtails have devoured them completely. I have (or should I say, I put...) tropical dwarf woodlice in there as well to help out with the custodian work, they're supposed to eat any mold or fungus that tries to grow.

Ade
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000