new Axolotl owner-please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  11:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my Mum bought herself an Axolotl yesterday and is relying on me to teach her how to care for it properly. She knows the basics but any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  11:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best advice I was given is to buy a turkey baster.

Best way to remove poo and uneaten food I've found.

You can't really go wrong with an axie- just keep the water clean (I use rainwater). Keep them well fed (they like earthworms best). Invest in some oxygenating plants and you'll be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, will definately be giving the turkey baster a try! Been struggling with a bulky syphon thingy from the pet shop! Our axy is growing nicely, will put some pics up soon. We've named him The Doctor because of his regenerating abilities
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  22:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well fed yes, overfed no. I have seen an axie killed before now by overfeeding, where the food was then left to just rot on the bottom, releasing toxic ammonia etc. Do yourself a favor, get a good external canister filter! Axies are dirty feeders putting it kindly, an external filter really helps to keep there water spotless, and you can direct the flow so they aren't subjected to a huge current (which they hate, and can make them ill).

Ade

PS. I am ashamed to say it was my daughters Axie that was killed in this way, and was supposed to be looked after by my oldest daughter and my wife. I finally gave in and cleaned it out, but was already too late by that point. So another lesson there, make sure the folks who are supposed to be doing the work actually do so! There is nothing more frustrating than watching somebody elses pet killed through over kindness on one hand and neglect on the other.
Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  01:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we've got him a good filter and been doing partial changes every week.

My Mums been looking after him for the last few weeks (well he is hers!)
but today I fed him and noticed he has been eating his gravel! I hadn't noticed how big his mouth had gotten until today! The pet shop told us the gravel we bought from them would be fine but obviously it is not! Only wish I had been on feeding duty sooner! Anyway, I've started a new thread about that so if you have any advise on what I can do now he has eaten his gravel I would be very greatful! Obviously I've taken him away from the gravel! Put him in his old tank til I can remove all the gravel from his usual tank. Gah! I'ts 1am and I dont think Im gonna sleep tonight as I'm so worried about him!

So if anyone has any advise, please post on my new thread! Im desperate to save the little guy!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  06:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't personally use gravel with an axie, although the research center in Mexico does. Play sand is a LOT safer, as if ingested this can just pass right through.

As to what you can do now, short of taking him to the vet, I don't see much you can do but wait and hope. Gravel ingestion is a known problem with axies.

Oh, and I am sure the mods/admins will excuse this offsite link, as it is THE best resource site for information about axolotls: Axolotl.org.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  09:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. He's passing the gravel already so he must have been doing this for a few days. I'll keep monitoring him to see if he gets any worse. Not sure if any vet near me will have a clue how to treat him! We've not got great vets for exotic pets near by!
Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  02:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it safe to use rainwater on its own or do you nead to treat it with Aquasafe or similar?

Also, can I use worms from my garden or is there a risk of them being contaminated with chemicals from other peoples gardens? We dont use any chemicals in our garden.

Thanks!

Edited by - Sam88 on 28/09/2010 02:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  09:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using it all the time I've had my axies (from spawn) so I don't think I could change now.

We just use it straight from the water butt which is only used for axie water so isn't contaminated with anything else. (Plus there's always a few water sanils in that are a tasty treat). You just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it stays fresh and isn't allowed to go stagnant.

No need to treat it because it's not got any chlorine in anyway. Chlorine is added to tap water at the plant, but rainwater is naturally chemical free.

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  11:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Wish I had space in my garden for a water butt. Barely enough room for the clothes line! My Mum is thinking of moving next year so if she gets a big enough garden I'll definately advise her to get a water butt and use it for the axies water simply because the water treatment stuff is so expensive!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have a down pipe from your guttering you could put a little jug under that when it's raining.

You might not collect a lot, but like Tesco say 'Every little helps!'

Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  20:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or, invest £50 in a HMA system. No waste water with these, so more economical than reverse osmosis, plus they ONLY remove the nasties (chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, hormones etc etc), they leave the goodies (calcium, magnesium etc) in there. They actually work out cheaper to run than buying dechlorinator. I bought one to use for my poison dart frogs and aquariums, well worth the money.

Ade
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000