Axy ate some rocks! Help!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  01:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding my Mum's Axy today I noticed he ate some of the gravel from his tank. I had a closer look at his tummy and can see some of the gravel is making him quite bloated. Ive removed him from his tak and placed him in his old tank that he was in before he grew. The gravel was fine when he was smaller and I hadnt noticed how big his mouth had got!

The tank he is in now has no gravel and we will be removing the gravel from his larger tank and putting him back in there as soon as possible so he has space.

Im just really worried that he will die! Is there anything I can do to help him now he has eaten it? He's about 7ins long and we've only had him for 6 weeks so he's still just a baby.

Please post if you have any experience with this. Anythin I can do to help him!

Thanks

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  01:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add, he has been eating fine. Inface, we have just increased the amount we feed him in the last couple of days and he's been gobbleing everything up. He doesn't seem to be acting weird, not perminently laying on the bottom from being weighed down or floating from gas build up. Still as active and hungry as ever! Im going to monitor his new bare bottomed tank for a few days, not sure how long for yet, to see if he poops the gravel out. Otherwise, some other sites I checked suggested fridging him to stop him getting stressed while he tries to pass the gravel but I'm going to give him a few days, maybe a week to try in his current tank.

Should I fridge him if he hasn't passed any of the gravel in a few days?

If so, how long do I do that for? And how do I get him accustomed to such a lower temperature? Surely I cant just shove him in the fridge in a small comtainer without slowly lowering the water temperature first so its not a shock?

Sorry for the long posts but I'm really worried about him. I dont want me and my Mum to have killed him by being stupid with his gravel! It seems so obvious to me now that he would eat it!

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Its now 2.20am and my little guy has been in his gravel free tank for almost 2 hours now and I've already found a peice of gravel (covered with a lovely layer of poo ) that I have proptly removed! Getting my hopes up now that he will survive this ordeal! He Still has quite a lot left in his gut but it seems that he can pass it and he's not looking stresed so I think I can get a few hours sleep before work in the morning! Still a long way to go before he is gravel free.

Hope this will help any other newbies on here who may encounter the same problem!

Sorry for all the posts but I'm sure you all understand how alarming it is to have a poorly pet!

Edited by - Sam88 on 24/09/2010 02:24:43
Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  02:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's passed 11 peices of gravel now, still a few more to go but not many I dont think. He's so much more active now and swimming a lot better. I'll post if he gets ill for future reference for anyone else who joins this forum with a similar situation, but I think he's going to be fine!
Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  09:15:22  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad he's doing better Sam...Good luck with your little guy!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  09:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a lot of gravel- glad he's passing it. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he continues to do alright.

You could get some big pebbles or marbles if you prefer something on the bottom.

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  11:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've bought some big pebbles from the garden centre that we're going to put in soon. I prefer the bare bottom as its easy to clean but I dont think my axy likes it! He's slipping about all over the place and its making it hard for him move about. He's looking fine now. I'll post some pictures soon!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
Pondweed

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2010 :  15:02:10  Show Profile  Send Julia a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure your pebbles are larger than your axolotl's head, as they can consume anything much smaller. I keep my guys on a bare bottomed tank and they have no problems moving about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000