New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zachariah
Pondweed

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  18:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a male 4 inch Woodhouse toad with a severly swollen right hind leg that he can barely move but can retract it and tries to stay off it as much as he can. He is also not eating as much. About 4 days ago I noticed that my toad Kermit had a swollen hind leg and took him to the vet but barely had enough for the vet visit and could'nt afford the $40 medicine prescribed. I found the same type of medine on petsmed.com for $7 dollars but it's for dogs and comes in capsule form and was wondering if I could take the capsule apart and dust a cricket with it and medicate him that way. The medicine is diphenhydramine a generic form af Benedryl. I know that you can use Panacur dewormer for dogs in that way but not sure if I can do the same with the other medication. If you have any information or remedies to help with his swollen leg Kermie and I would surely appreciate it. Thanks

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  10:45:09  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I would try to save up or borrow the 40 dollars since it isn't all that much and I think it would be difficult to regulate the proper dosage by dusting crickets with medicine but that's just my opinion. I hope your toad gets better I'm sorry to hear he's ill
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  17:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would agree- you probably can use it, but you've no way at all to regulate the dosage so you could so easily over-dose your toad.

What did the vet say was wrong with him? Maybe we might know some alternate treatments?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000