New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thea
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  14:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i could use some advice. i was told axies were social and i needed to get at least 2 of them. i bought 2 and they were both in a 3 ft tank. i was told by pet shop they only needed 2ft but i wanted a bigger one.
a few weeks ago overnight one of my axies had bitten off 3 legs off my other one and the 4th leg was still there but was unable to use it cos was bitten too and some gills were missing and about a 1/3 of his tail.
I put the injured axie in a 2ft tank on its own now. It is starting to grow legs and tail back now. does anyone know if he will grow his gills back? Is there anything i can give him to help him recover?
Im going to keep them seperate now. will the 2 ft tank be big enough for him or will i need a bigger one?
Thanks for any help

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Axies have a great healing ability, so shuld grow the gills back too, although it will probably take a long time since his injuries sound quite extensive. I would continue to watch him carefully, but there isn't really anything you can do to help him heal.

Just be aware that since he is weakened, he may be more susceptable to fungal infections and the like.

A 2ft tank should be alright for one axie and I think you have done the right thing keeping them apart.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000