New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zachariah
Pondweed

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2010 :  04:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any experience with these cute medium sized toads? I have 2 of them a male and female (Apu and Manjula). I bought them cheap from a reptile store and have them in a ten gallon tank with a large water dish with a inch and a half deep of water, log with leaves, coconut husk bedding (2 inches deep, they like to burrow) a cave with enough room for both (they are about 2 inches long but the female is alot rounder)and some terrarium moss. I feed them gut loaded crickets, roaches, and superworms every other day and dusted once a week with calcium and vitamin supplements. I've been keeping the temperature around 75-80 degrees during the day and the humidity about 60%. I've found little about them on the internet and the store keeper knew little about them too. I know I should'nt of got them without knowing about them first but it's too late now because they're here in my room. They seem to be healthy with clear eyes and a hardy appetite and normal droppings and pretty active, but they are nocturnal (the store keeper did know that) so I'm not sure how active they are while I'm sleeping. If you have any suggestions or constructive critisism on what I'm doing wrong please tell me because I do not want these guys suffering because of my insufficient knowledge of them. Thank you.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  17:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've not kept them myself, but I believe their care is similar to other medium sized toads.

The only thing I might suggest is that you don't put as much water in the water bowl. Toads aren't actually that good at swimming so only need a shallow dish.

Are you using de-chlorinated water? Amphibians are sensitive to chlorine in normal tap water, unless you treat it with repti-safe or let it stand uncovered for at least 24 hours.

How are they settling in?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000