New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg Logan
Pondweed

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  15:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi as with a previous writer I have 2 Firebellied Newts who hide all the time. I have had them for almost a year now, one male and one female. I keep them in a homemade split tank with moss substrate and monapi wood for them to hide under, the problem is that they never come out at all, I have never seem them in the water which is filtered and has plants in also.
Both newts feed well on earth worms, moth grubs and wax worms but only under the wood, I use a small torch and can see when they feed. Initially they both kept away from each other but now they are always curled up together when I lift the wood. Also I have noticed hardley any feaces in the last couple of months where as previously in the summer. So anybody any ideas why my newts are not active and do they change their habits with the seasons???

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  20:40:36  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
almost all newt species are very secretive in the terrestrial stage.
When they decide to become more aquatic, they should become much bolder and be seen almost all of the time.
Are they still young?
What type of fire bellied newt are they?

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000