New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i_prefer_boas
I LOVE TCS users

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  21:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was wondering how people set up their heat source and what people have found to be the most effective method for heating a frog's viv?

i know ceramics and IRs are a no-no as they reduce humidity too much

we've currently got a heatmat on the back of the glass E-T viv, running through a pulse stat. the stat never pulses though, it's on flat out ALL the time and we're just managing to get 70*F in the centre of the viv. what size mat do people use (proportionally) for the size of the viv?

the viv's mesh lid is already blocked off to help stabilize temps and humidity

lots of boas, lots of cornsnakes, a couple of ratsnakes and a few day geckos

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  22:07:15  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to use a small mat underneath our viv (7x7 inch ish) with an 11x11 on the same side.
The viv was 2x1x1ft, What I done first was to fire both mats up (on the one stat) but without the probe attached and about 20 mins later check the temps of both mats, whatever one was hottest is the one that the probe would go on.
Normally the smaller mat would get hottest due to being smaller, and having the most weight on it. The larger one would barely warm up (25c maybe) but was enough to give a bit more warmth on one side of the viv.
I actually found that the microclimate ministats with their large variation in temps to be a bit better than a pulse prop, simply due to the larger temp variation.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

i_prefer_boas
I LOVE TCS users

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  15:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahhh, maybe just having the 1 mat is where we're going wrong, though daz has put some corrugated cardboard round the viv now and swapped for a squarer-shaped 20ishW mat and the temps got up to 80*F.........having a small mat underneath should help with the humidity too

thanks hun

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During winter I used to insulate Micky Marinus' tank with bubble wrap :0)

Go to Top of Page

i_prefer_boas
I LOVE TCS users

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  22:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gives the phrase 'wrapping up in cotton wool/bubble wrap' a visual lol :D

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  12:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He loved it- he was such a grumpy, moanjy toad that he preferred it when we couldn't look in on him

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000