New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  12:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is my first year breeding and im starting easy with my cynops oreintalis. the only issue is my adults seem to have a taste for there own eggs so it hard getting them out before they get eaten (as im at work all day and have to sleep at some point lol) so far 12 eggs (and an unknown number eaten) and my less "fat" female is starting to look more normal can wait for my other to start laying she looks ready to pop

anyway enough about me, what is everyone else breeding this year and hows it all going

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  12:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We aren't breeding newts and sals, just corns this year

Good luck catching the eggs though. How long until they hatch?

Go to Top of Page

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  13:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

We aren't breeding newts and sals, just corns this year

Good luck catching the eggs though. How long until they hatch?

im not quite sure ive been told 2-3 weeks depending on water temp
Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  16:00:19  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only ones of mine that are breeding at present are alpine newts.ive got fingers crossed for a few more species to breed yet though.
I do have smooth newts and great crested newts breeding away in my garden ponds, which is always good to see

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

Asp
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  12:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a go at breeding my Spanish ribbed newts this year - rather more successfully than I anticipated (see classifieds - shameless plug), its been great fun. The resultant offspring are eating me out of house and home at the moment!

I'm normally a terrapin keeper so its been really interesting to have a go at breeding something different.
Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  19:05:24  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would love to see some pics Asp !

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  21:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would too

Go to Top of Page

blackadder
Pondweed

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Send blackadder an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new here. I have a question and was wondering if anyone could shed some light. I have a small tropical tank containing two fire bellied newts, four aquatic brown frogs, three apple snails and various shrimp. I've found an eggsac attached to the plastic frame just under the lid but I'm a bit unsure what to do about it...and which have laid them...the newts or the frogs, although I can't imagine the frogs managing to get up to the lid, especially since there's nothing to climb up at the part of the frame.

Can anyone help me please????

Big Al...
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  13:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you got a picture of the egg sac?

I wouldn't think it was the frogs, but it could be a spermatophore dropped by a male newt, which would mean it doesn't contain eggs, but just the sperm required for a female to become fertilized if lead to pick it up by the male.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000