New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  14:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering who uses bugs from outside.

in spring summer and autumn i use earthworms found in my garden as part of my salamanders diet (ive asked people next door if they use pesticides and all 3 said no so i feel safe to use them but i do put them in clean soil for a few days before feeding just to be safe) and i sometimes feed moths to my green anoles. just wondered if others use "natures bounty" or if people see it as of much or a risk

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  14:36:07  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a worm culture in an plastic bin with a carpet over it and drainage holes, we collected around 50 worms from the garden (we never use pesticides or even fertilizers) They are doing quite well.

We have used woodlice for the toads and no matter if they're small the toads love them. I think the risk only comes in if you collect from places where you don't know what chemicals have been used in. Me and Kaz had a book from the library that says there are more vitamins in wild caught food. It goes on about hedge sweeping and culturing outside with nets around plants etc. Don't think we'd ever go that far but it's interesting reading.

we get a lot of caterpillars on the plants in the summer, has anyone ever tried these? I know certain species can be poisonous but never researched into which ones.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  14:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

We have used woodlice for the toads and no matter if they're small the toads love them. I think the risk only comes in if you collect from places where you don't know what chemicals have been used in. Me and Kaz had a book from the library that says there are more vitamins in wild caught food. It goes on about hedge sweeping and culturing outside with nets around plants etc. Don't think we'd ever go that far but it's interesting reading.

we get a lot of caterpillars on the plants in the summer, has anyone ever tried these? I know certain species can be poisonous but never researched into which ones.

yeah ive had woodlice out of the garden we have a colony that lives under some broken bits of garden wall, they've just starter having young again (went to have a look on them on monday)

had some cabbage white caterpillars on some of my mum radished last year i wasnt sure if they were safe so i left them be but it might be worth looking into i guess
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  15:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

With Caterpillars it's normally the plant that they feed from that enables them to produce a toxin. A normally toxic caterpillar can usually be made safe by preventing it from feeding on its natural food plant. If you check the wildlife gardening websites they advise what plants to put in the garden in order to attract the butterflies to produce the caterpillars which then attract the birds, etc. If I find any guides, etc I'll post them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000