Black Field Crix Colony
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well it finally worked. The Black Field Crix have produced some offspring .

Only problem is that numpty nuts here forgot to put fresh leaf in for a couple of days because I was finishing off some coursework and the adults started eating each other . I'll get some pics during the next set up and do a how to guide if that will be useful.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good

Are they easy to breed?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  06:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Looks good

Are they easy to breed?

If I can get the incubation sussed then yes, easy peasy. Apart from remembering to put fresh greens in daily and removing the laying tub before the adults dig all of the eggs out and eat them you pretty much leave them to it. The eggs are being incubated in crix tubs on top of Godzilla's viv so I've just got to figure out where the sweet spot is. Incubation time is 2 to 3 weeks so once up and running it should just keep churning them out.

I'm trying to rear some locusts on to adulthood at the moment using the heat from the Bosc viv as well so if there's any joy from that I'll post that up too.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  15:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's where we keep our creatures- on top of Evra's viv so the heat from the ceramic comes through the top. It's great free heat

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:19:34  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's where we keep our creatures- on top of Evra's viv so the heat from the ceramic comes through the top. It's great free heat

That's the good thing about the mini dinosaur's set up. He has the ceramic belting out at 95F, his basking lamp hitting 120F and the cool end at 85F. The locusts live above the two lamps and get an hour of sun in the afternoon too. They seem happy but who knows. We'll just have to see .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  10:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just looking at the picture of the babies and noticed the bit at the bottom about adults eating eachother (must have missed it before) but wondered if you used any dry food in there too?

I've found that they like dried cat food a lot more than oats and stuff. Worth putting a few in for when you forget to add vegies

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  19:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's sussed. Got another 2 lots of babies from 2 different clutches of eggs. Started a waxy colony too now. I pm'd you the link on the dark side Kaz cos I've lost your email addy.

quote:

Just looking at the picture of the babies and noticed the bit at the bottom about adults eating eachother (must have missed it before) but wondered if you used any dry food in there too?

I've found that they like dried cat food a lot more than oats and stuff. Worth putting a few in for when you forget to add vegies

I usually use a plastic milkbottle cap and top the oats/fishfood mix up when it runs a bit low. Dried catfood should work fine too. The main reason that they start munching each other is for liquid. If they don't have any fresh veggies left then they turn on the smallest and weakest. Isn't nature wonderful

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  20:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd eat Lewy if I was hungry enough

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000