Lobster and Dubia Roaches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  16:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got cultures of these going and the are growing at an alarming rate They aren't breeding yet, but I bet it won't be long.

Think they are a good investment for anyone wanting something easy to keep. (Althought the Lobster roaches can climb and are well fast )

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  19:16:02  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to talk Jo into letting me have a dubia colony for Godzilla. He's costing me a fortune in locusts. Eating waaaaaay more than T. M. Alberto now.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would recommend Dubias - they are really easy to care for. I've gone off lobster roaches though. We found one in Cyd's viv the other day. It must have escaped from the toad tank and gone to a warm place. Scary

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  17:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kaz, Hows your Dubia colony going?
Anychance you could post some photos of the set up your using?
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  21:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dubias are doing brilliantly - we have two colonys. The monsters which are massive and will hopefully breed soon and the smaller ones that DazB gave us.

The big ones are kept in an old faun with tights over the vents (although I don't think this is really necessary). I keep the faun in a cardboard box to make it dark and just pile up loads of egg boxes and 'cockroach castles' (which are really the carboardy packaging you get in stuff like printer cartridges).

I have a plastic bowl (the end of a poster tube) to place the food in, but this is only for ease of cleaning really. They get water from their food, so no need for a water bowl.

You can choose to heat it as they grow and breed quicker at higher temps, but I just keep mine on top of Evra's viv and the warmth of her ceramic heats them enough.

They are my favourite live food culture because they are so easy to clean. The poo is solid, so if you lift the roaches out all you do is tip the waste in the bin. No sticky, messy stuff to get down your nails or anything

The monster colony:

The babies:

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  09:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks a lot for the info and pic!
Think I may have to start a colony

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  14:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do it- they are so easy to care for and they are nutritionally good for 'phibs.

They are really hardy too - I don't think I've lost any through death. Not like crickets that last a few weeks at most

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  09:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'm a Grandma again :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000