Had a thought...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  09:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking last night about gut-loading so wondered what everyone else thought-

The general idea for amphibians is to give them a wide variety of prey items in their diet - which I'm doing as at the moment we are feeding our 'phibs a range of: dubia roaches, lobster roaches, woodlice, earthworms, black crickets, brown crickets, locusts, mealworms and waxworm moths. From all of those only the woodlice are not being gut-loaded by me.

So the question is: since I'm gut-loading all these things with the same foods- same oat/vitamin mix and the same vegs/greens (whatever scraps from the kitchen get shared) is this really giving the amphibians a variety? Would gut-loading some items one thing and others another give more variety in the 'phibs diet?

Let me know if I'm putting too much thought into it

Kehhlyr

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  14:31:48  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The diet itself is varied with the different food, but the nutrition is staying about the same.

Kind of like having cheese on toast or cheese sandwich.

Same nutrition value (ish) but tastes completely different.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  15:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Suppose so- the 'phibs don't complain anyway

Plus the meatiness of the creature must make a difference. They will have natural nutrients anyway, especially things like worms that are really good for 'phibs. Think it's thinks like mealies and crickets that aren't that good without soom gut-loading.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000