New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2009 :  18:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry about all the questions ive been asking lately by the way, but my fire salamander i got 3 days ago does not seem to be feeding i was told that juveniles were to be fed every day to every other day but my one hasnt eaten at all exept when i saw him eat at the pet shop is this because of stress due to moving to a new home i've tried feeding him crickests and a few earthworms but he won't take any. i dested the food with a calcium and vitamin supplement called nutrobal and have been feeding him with farceps.

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  11:10:12  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The prey items could be too big, try getting some small worms and leaving them with him (but get rid of that moss ) you can leave worms without worrying about them hurting your sal. Keep trying various prey items (they like woodlice if you can find a place free from chemicals to collect them) they'll eat small spiders too!

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  11:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it may be the forceps- my sals were too nervous to take anything from me when I first got them. They are becoming more brave now, so will take food off me, but it's taken time.

And they do like woodlice

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  14:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanx, u don't understand how helpfull you have been with all my millions of questions lol

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2009 :  16:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think it's the size of the crickets im trying to feed him because in the shop the woman who was serving me fed him a wax worm that was larger i have also tried earth worm which i did not feed with the tongs but he still refuses to eat

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2009 :  15:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just keep trying- what about taking him out and placing him in a small tub and leaving him with the prey for a few minutes.

Maybe without any distractions and no chance of eating any substrate he might eat, especially since they are a little confined so the prey can't go undetected for long. (works with snakes anyway )

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  09:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still hsnt eaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! getting worried now. gonna take him back 2 the shop and ask na about him

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  17:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i took him back to the shop and they said he was fine turns out he didnt like the crickets and the woodlice,

Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  19:47:34  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats! what have you got him eating?

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  19:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been feeding him on small mealworms, were the exoskeleton isn't so tough, planning on getting another soon

Edited by - overlord on 30/09/2009 19:13:33
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  09:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try earthworms too- They love them and they are supposed to be very good for them

Go to Top of Page

overlord
Frog Spawn

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, thnx for the advice

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: