New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strictlyBUFO
Pondweed

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  23:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where can i get a rain chamber,is there a website or sumthing?

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  04:58:56  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could probably buy one, but most people make them. Although usually they're only used if breeding is intended.

Anyway, basic instructions for a 'el cheapo' would be something similar to this: (imagination required because of lack of pics)

False bottom in tank (this also is totally reliant on whatever substrate you have. :)
On the false bottom, have load of holes for water to go into.
In the false bottom have a small water pump (aquarium filter pump should do it)
On the nozzle of the pump have a hose leading upwards into a plastic bottle (or similar) that has loads of small holes in it.
When the false bottom has water in, and the pump turned on, then it should pump water into the bottle, which will then 'rain' out of the small holes in it.
This is clearly where the false bottom is handy.
There is no chance of drowning the toads/froggys and the water dribbles back through into the false bottom, where it get pumped back up again.

Just make sure the false bottom can hold more water than it needs, this is because when it's not raining (or when the pump is off ) the water level in the false bottom will be higher.

One of my old friends made one using a hot water bottle ages ago, because the bottle could be stretched tight across the lid of his frog tank giving a greater spread of water and taking up less space.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

strictlyBUFO
Pondweed

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  09:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay i kinda get it,i jus cant picture how its put together,get the idea tho. thanks.only asking cuz ive been raising three bufo boreas and i think they are maturing,well actually i have eleven bufo boreas but three are mature.by tha way do you know of any one that raises bufo regularis?(african square mark toads) i found one other person so far on this forum who has them.
Go to Top of Page

strictlyBUFO
Pondweed

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  10:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also im prolly in the wrong section to ask this question but do you have any info on getting rid of parasites in wild caught amphibians,toads inparticular?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually I don't know of any offhand. Normally it'd be just a matter of running a quaranteen(sp) period to make sure the froggy/toad has purged any loose parasites out of the body.

I'm not totally sure what or if there is any treatments for parasites in 'Phibs.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

strictlyBUFO
Pondweed

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well then i guess im doing the best thing then,i have my four toads seperated into two groups.two have been active and eating from the moment they came outta the box and they already have there own little personalitys,i have those two together.then i got the sleepy ones together.an my my poor lil toad that i bought whose missing a back foot,hes with the other small one thats also acting kinda sick-but that one eats now ,only alil tho.
Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:11:22  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although this site here
http://www.bufo.de.vu/
does not mention the specific breeds you mention, it has excellent articles on breeding bufo toads which you may find a great help

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  21:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought toads didn't need a rain chamber? Just an increase in misting should do the trick

As for the worms - I'd take mine to a vet for treatment, who might prescribe something like Panacur (fenbendazole) for the worms.

Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  07:45:30  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The plan with my Bufo americanus is to give them the correct photoperiod and temperatures over the winter, then put them out into a large outdoor enclosure in early march when we have a few days of heavy rain.
If this works they will then be puit in a tank inside to spawn.
Generally Bufo toads come into breeding condition after coming out of hibernation,and taking a long walk back to the breeding ponds, usualy in the rain.

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Go to Top of Page

strictlyBUFO
Pondweed

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  23:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the information guys.i pulled up the site you offered punkman but it was in a different langauge but i still went thru it and they actually had a section on bufo regularis,wish i could have understood it cus it sounds like thats what i need to be reading
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  08:29:54  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strictlyBUFO

thanks for the information guys.i pulled up the site you offered punkman but it was in a different langauge but i still went thru it and they actually had a section on bufo regularis,wish i could have understood it cus it sounds like thats what i need to be reading

On the left hand side of that site is a small yellow bar with links in it, the lower link will change the language into english.

I have to admit, I missed that the first time as well.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 15/12/2009 08:33:24
Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  11:57:53  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whoops sorry folks I should have p[ointed that out when first posting about the site

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.

Go to Top of Page

Desired_affect
Pondweed

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  19:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Desired_affect's Homepage  Click to see Desired_affect's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
any one got a picture of a rain chamber tank??/

2x Crested Gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus), 3x Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) 2x European green tree frog (Hyla arborea) 2xArgentinian Horned Frog (Ceratophrys Cranwelli) 1x Malaysian Leaf frog (Megophrys nastuta)

Go to Top of Page

Desired_affect
Pondweed

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2010 :  20:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Desired_affect's Homepage  Click to see Desired_affect's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strictlyBUFO

where can i get a rain chamber,is there a website or sumthing?

http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/index.php/cPath/61 there you go

2x Crested Gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus), 3x Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) 2x European green tree frog (Hyla arborea) 2xArgentinian Horned Frog (Ceratophrys Cranwelli) 1x Malaysian Leaf frog (Megophrys nastuta)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000