Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  20:43:22  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be VERY carefull buying from a pet shop as they often come severely stressed and diseased due to the way they are collected and shipped.
If you do get a diseased one it could wipe out the lot of them

please see this written by ed kowalski

There is a long chain of custody of the animal prior to it reaching the hands of the private individual. The chain of custody usually follows these lines: collector to buyer to exporter to importer to distributor to pet store to keeper. The length of time spent at each of these points can vary considerably. However, one can be reasonably sure that the animal has received less than optimal care and feeding at each stop. Consequently, the caudate arrives in the keeper's hands with little to no fat reserves (personal observation). The animals are then usually kept in a warm (> 70°F) environment. The warm temperature speeds up the animal's metabolism, making acclimation more difficult for these already stressed animals. As the last of the fat reserves are depleted, the animal lacks the necessary reserves to stave off disease or forage for food in the enclosure, and death is a sure result

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

mummyhamster
Pondweed

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  20:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. It's my local pet shop and I know the owner quite well, but of course that doesn't mean anything. The Newts should have been here this Thursday just gone, but when the delivery driver arrived, he had everything except the Newts... What with the Easter Holiday, it makes sorting everything out slightly more difficult and not to mention longer! They only get one delivery a week, so, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. If they look very unhealthy and stressed, where would you recommend getting more from? My current two came from a pet shop, although they and a some others were already in store and I watched them swimming around the tank, and they all seemed happy and healthy, but that pet shop was over 150 miles away from where I live and it was a very long day! Not to mention expensive, the Newts were £5.99 but it cost me £40 in fuel I went to my local pet shop, and they got in touch with their supplier who said yes they had some. I've tried searching the internet for local breeders, but to no avail.
Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully you will have good fortune and have no problems, but check carefully any new ones you buy, and look out for sores or very lethargic specemins.
If any look dodgy keep seperate from the others untill you are sure its ok also check out this article
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtm

You would be well advised to keep a close eye on all of them for the first month or two, again checking for any that arent eating or for signs of sores etc.
The problem with these newts is that not many people breed and sell the species as by the time they have been raised from eggs, then got through the first few terrestrial years[nobody seems to want them untill they are aquatic adults],they cant get buyers with them being so cheap wild caught from pet stores.
They can sometimes be found captive bred though if you look on sights like caudata
good luck with yours though, and who knows, maybe you will soon be one of the people offering captive bred

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could also try classified sites because you may find some long-term captives which should be in a better condition

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000