New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mummyhamster
Pondweed

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  20:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really can't believe this is happening The other day I noticed that one of my Newts wasn't using one of his front legs, he was getting around fine. Then this morning I noticed that the other Newt wasn't using one of his back legs. In my effort to get the setup just right I had big gravel. The only thing I can think of is, either the Newts have been fighting, or they have somehow trapped their limbs in between the stones and damaged them :( I have also noticed that the first Newt had some white stuff on it's poorly front leg. Today I have replaced the big gravel with sand and I've done a complete water change too. The Newt with the fungus (as of today) doesn't seem to have any toes? Although I have read that they can re-generate lost limbs... I hope so. They are now both in their tank although they are hiding behind the tub. I've got no doubts that they are proably feeling a quite a bit stressed as I have been interfering in their tank quite a bit over the last few days. I hope that this is the last time I have to go anywhere near them - for their sake.
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for maybe putting some sort of solution in their water to get rid of any possible infection. I've also read that one way of getting rid of a fungus is putting them in the fridge...
I would really appreciate advice.

Thank you from a very Veronica.

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  13:16:00  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the health page on caudata culture site which I mentioned in another post.
Also if not already a member ? then join caudata.org forum, check out posts and also post your question on there.
There are sometimes newbies on there who may post answers without knowing what they are talking about so inadvertantly give bad advice, but there are also some very experienced , and knowledgable keepers on there.
Im afraid fungus, missing,and rotting limbs is very common in shop bought newts, and I have lost many myself to these things in my early days of newt keping, when I used to feel sorry for newts in pet shops and buy some.
problem being lots of the conditions they come with are not noticed for a while after you get them

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  09:37:59  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How are things now mummyhamster??

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

mummyhamster
Pondweed

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  17:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ya. Ok, I think?! I don't know if he has been trying to shed a bit, I keep finding grey skin sort of stuff in the tank, a bit the other day, some today. I have been trying to feed him, just offered some bloodworms to him on the end of tweezers - I haven't moved him out of the tank though. I've also had brine shrimp in the tank. I have also left him with some bloodworms, I think he may have eaten one a few days ago, but nothing since. I've counted how many I put in, I wouldn't normally do this! I know that if they are shedding they don't usually eat, so I really don't know whats going on. I can't see him at the moment, probably round the back somewhere and I don't want to go looking for him. The other day it looked as though there was less fungus, but when I saw him briefly this morning, it looks as though there is more. Would my filter, filter out the goodness of the soloution I'm using? I topped up some more the other day as I did a partial water change. I was thinking about taking some more water out again today and topping up. Not sure if it's doing any good, but I just feel if there is a disease in the water, if I can get rid of most of the water and use fresh stuff then it would help. I also need to get the old bloodworms out, but have to go out and buy a net first as my little boy wrecked my original one! Thanks for the advice, I have registered on the Caudata site, but yet to post about the problem.

Cheers
V'
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would take him out of the tank completely and place him in a hospital tank. Just use a tupperware tub with a few air holes. If it's opaque then he shouldn't get too scared in there.

That way you can monitor his progress better and ensure that the water isn't being filtered away (you will probably need to do daily changes while he's in the tank).

What medicine are you using?

Have you got a picture of the toes and white stuff so we can have a look?

I also have heard that putting them in the fridge can help, but I've never done it myself.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000