My new plan ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  14:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... is to make a watering hole for the wildlife in my garden.

I've got myself a baby bath off Freecycle and have found these sites:

http://www.gbwildlife.co.uk/post/Build-a-pond-for-under-c2a310.aspx

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/photopond.htm

...but has anyone else got any ideas on how I can make it phib friendly.

I'm hoping to get some rockery stone, so that it'll not be too deep and they have a way out. Not sure what plants to use though.

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a look in Lidl, last year I bought a "plant pond" kit from them, consisting of a plastic bowl and some easy to grow smaller varieties of pond plant which would probably be perfect in there.

Alternatively, if you don't mind mail order, try Plants Alive.

As to something for phibs to get in and out using, how about a nice piece of bogwood from your local fish shop (aquarium fish that is... lol)? It's already weathered, and doesn't rot in water.

Ade

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  11:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea.

I was thinking about using water violets because apparently they are an native plant, give lots of hiding places above and below the water and have nice flowers on them too. I'll have to see if the site has got some

Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  11:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think they have. However a quickle Google found this company, you'll need to be patient, it took me an age to load and I'm on 50 meg cable broadband lol. A very pretty plant, the flower reminds me of echinodorus (Amazon sword plants) flowers, a bit like single white roses with very delicate white petals. Reminds me...

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  19:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's photos of my new watering hole and nature area being sorted:

First I buried the bath (with a hand trowel so it took me ages)

Then I placed a few rubbishy stones in the bottom:

and a nice piece of slate on the top to look good and allow for any phibs to get out of the water when necessary:

I filled the bath with water from the water butt, so it's rain water.

Then I half submerged a few plant pots about for hiding places and transplanted a fern:

Note the Log pile too - mini beast adventure playground

Planted a few wild flower seeds around the area so that when they grow they'll provide ground cover and attract butterflies and bees (got some more seeds growing in the cold frame in case they don't take).

and voila!

My little nature area. Still needs a few things- I want some water violets for the watering hole and might transplant a few more ferns, but it's alright for the time being. Just got to wait for nature to take it's course now. It'll look better when the plants have grown around it.

Go to Top of Page

Teresa
Pondweed

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really good. Might pinch the baby bath idea for the nature pond that we're going to make for the tadpoles we currently have in a fish tank donated by the kids school. Hubby was thinking of using a liner but that would be much sturdier. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's working out great too - had a few creatures seen drinking out of it and there's a bit of pond life in there now. I think most of it came with the plants rather than being attracted, but it's still cool

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  21:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is this looking nowadays Kaz?
Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  02:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we want an update!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  16:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been clearing the fallen leaves out and breaking the ice all winter, but not really seen anything cool in it recently except the odd black bird having a drink.

Going to keep looking out though, because it's coming to the breeding season for most wildlife soon and the wild flower bulbs I planted last year should spring up any time.

I'll keep you posted

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000