Something a bit different...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  12:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering if any of you had tried emersed growth form aquarium plants in their terrariums? Plants such as cryptocoryne species, echinodorus species, eleocharis species and hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba" all grow BETTER emersed than they do immersed, and the humid terrarium should in theory be the perfect environment to grow these in.

The HC Cuba and dwarf eleocharis are low growing, so should be able to survive been trampled fairly well, echinodorus and cryptocorynes are mostly quite tough plants.

So what do you folks think? Are you for example aware of a problem with the species I have mentioned? I'm pretty sure they're all none toxic.

I already have 2 young ecinodorus cordifolius "marbled queen" (note these aren't the same as the marbled queen houseplant, but rather a cultivar of e cordifolius) growing out of water, so, you folks think I should give one a try in a terrarium? They're completely chemical free etc, apart from aquarium plant fertilisers. lol I'd just need to root them first, as been kept out of water they haven't grown roots yet. Easily done though, just tie a peat pot to the brace bar of my aquarium, filled with coconut humus, root them into that. :)

Might make for an interesting project in a naturalistic terrarium. ;)

Ade

Bufo Bill
Pondweed

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  18:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ade, I grow Cryptocorynes in my paludarium and they spread like crazy! A good source for the shrimp tanks perhaps? I have also grown a emerse carpet of Lilaeopsis brasiliensis in the past, although it died back a bit after my toad clive trampled it during a thunder storm.

I also tried Hydrocotyle verticillatabut I don't know if it was the smell or texture or what, but Clive sat on that plant until the plant died.

Spathipyllums are good for large frogs as this plant is extremely hardy and rebounds well from even the heaviest trampling a frog can give.

All the best from Bill.

Bufo Bill: Animal keeper and professional geek.
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  20:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya Bill, sorry for late reply, somehow I completely missed this.

The echinodorus didn't work out, I am assuming the humidity is just too low in a White's tree frog terrarium (most mosses fail as well). However currently setting up a dart frog terrarium with much higher humidity, so time to try again I reckon. I might try a cutting of one of my anubias barteri as well, as I hear these are excellent grown as epthytes in a humid terrarium. :)

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Bufo Bill
Pondweed

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  22:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ade, I also tried Eleocharis acicularis, and this goes great guns with a damp substrate. Incidentally, many plants sold as "marginals" and "bog garden" plants for ponds work well too, such as Hydrocotyle vulgaris, Sisyrichium species, and Carnivorous plants like Pitcher Plants. A little off topic but worth pointing out I feel.

All the best from Bill.

Bufo Bill: Animal keeper and professional geek.
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  21:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might try that in the other one I am setting up (the hair grass that is), a few folks have told me it does well.

At the moment a red flame, an anubias barteri nana and some HC Cuba are doing well. The echindorus cordifolius isn't doing quite as well, but keeps getting new growth on it to replace the dead.

Ade
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000