New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Punchfish
Pondweed

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  13:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my new acrylic viv which I built, its made from 5mm acrylic and feels very strong and sturdy. It also feels very light, so I would feel comfortable stacking another one on top of it if I wanted (something I would be afraid to do with glass.) I also believe it could have been made much thinner, but it wasn't much cheaper to buy 4mm so I thought better be safe than sorry.

It was also fairly easy to build, it just required a tiny amount of plastic cement which I got from a hobby shop for cheap. Being my first attempt I didn't get a fully waterproof join so I then went around the edge with some epoxy, which was also easy to do.

It is 24"X15"X10" LxWxH. For my African bullfrog.

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  15:07:55  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good - I researched acrylic tank making but then I got given a few old fish tanks which saved me some time.

Although there's a few rooms in our house that when finished I want to fit a tank to the length of the room and acrylic is the best option. need to get on with the DIY first. Plastering, tiling (both floor and walls) and getting the wiring finished. best not get kaz started

Does it scratch easily?

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PF... ?mind me asking how much that cost to build = and what size and price was the acrylic sheet and how easy to cut etc?... thanks... J

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Punchfish
Pondweed

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  22:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem Jain.
I bought the sheets from here - eBay UK Shop - Trent Plastics: 5mm Clear Acrylic, White, Opal
I made it from a 500x500mm sheet and a 1000x1000mm sheet so for the sheets it was £18.70 + £4.40 and then ~£8 postage.

The sheets were cut to size for me and all the cuts were included in the price which I thought was great as I don't have any power tools and it would just have been to much extra hassle for me. I did ask for a quote which included some holes drilled into the lid but that added £10, so I never bothered. If you do want to cut the sheets from previous experience I have found a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade to be the best.

I must say I was extremely impressed with trentplastics though as I emailed them for a quote (with a poor diagram drawn by paint) and received a reply within hours.) I really liked the fact they would do any straight cuts free of charge, they also had great communication to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.
Go to Top of Page

MrCairney
Pondweed

8 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  14:00:07  Show Profile  Visit MrCairney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for digging up a thread that two years old, but I wonder if Punchfish is still about? I'd like to see the pics. Interested to see the lid.

And maybe they could let us know how it held up?
Go to Top of Page

Punchfish
Pondweed

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 :  21:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not about as such really as I sold all my collection I became a dad and thought best to get out now (back Aug 09) rather than try keep it going and eventually find keeping frogs a chore.

Must say I have really missed keeping amphibians, but am very glad I do not have just now. I still have a passion for them and I'm sure in a few years I'll be back up and running with more tanks than before.

Here is a picture of that tank, as you can see nothing really exciting. I was a bit lazy with the lid and only used a flat piece of acrylic over the top. This was only possible because it was a african bullfrog, so I knew there was no chance of escape (there were large gaps at the sides).

This is it in place.

If I'm honest the flat piece I used as the top sagged in the middle, but then if it was a proper lid I doubt it would happen. The back and bottom held together very well, but the front panel started to pull away from the sides. This was due to the placement, as you can see its under a shelf, so I was pulling the front piece all the time to slide it out (not very clever I know).

I would say it was much much stronger than glass.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000