New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

badmary
Pondweed

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  18:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two Whites tree frogs and 2 tomato frogs and am struggling to get their housing temperature up to the required temperature. I have a heat mat covering about a third of the floor area and a long fluorescent day light as recommended. However, this is only producing a temperature of between 60 and 70 degrees and I'm concerned that this isn't hot enough. As the advice is not to add a heat lamp what can I do to increase the temperature?

Humidity levels are good.

BadMary

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, heat mats will only raise the temps up by a small amount above the ambient temperature of the room they are in. The trick to get them warmer is to make sure the room is kept at about 22 degrees Celsius so the mats have less to do. I also have 2 mats on my whites set up, 1 on the side with polystyrene on the outside of it, and 1 on the base, again with polystyrene on it. Placing mats just on the bottom you lose a lot of the heat from them as it doesn't make it through the substrate, but on the plus side it helps keep humidity up, especially if like me you use a 2 layer substrate, with water in the bottom half. By putting one on the side the heat goes directly where it's needed.

When I started out, such a short time ago, I had the exact sames problem as you. Tips on here guided me into the 2 mat method.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  11:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the insulation Ade hinted on is important too - we usually put polysteyrene or bubble wrap around the sides of the tank during winter to keep the heat in. It usually raises the temp by about 2-5 degrees so works. It just doesn't look very good

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000