New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zoiiy
Pondweed

Malaysia
1 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  04:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I had 4 juvie M.nasutas that were kept in a mix of moss and cardboard shreds (a dust free horse bedding). The bedding was changed every 4 days. They did well at first, and then about 2 months ago, one died suddenly. The second one developed red leg with blistering. I unsuccessfuly treated it with antibiotics. I then changed the bedding to moss only. It's a commercial compressed moss by Haagen. Anyway, one other frog changed to a darker colour, but no signs of red leg. I monitored it and was soaking it for a while in electrolytes diluted in water and it was ok after a few days, no more colour changes, active, and was eating well.
Last 3 days however, I noticed that the same frog has turned a darker colour again. I didn't notice any red leg, so I continued soaking it. I force fed it a cricket and noticed that the mucous membranes was very pale. The following day, it was active and had turned back to a normal colour. Yesterday, I placed a cricket in front of it and it jumped on contact with the cricket. Then it retched and spat some mucous out. I picked it up to wipe the mucous off and it tried to retch out the stomach and promptly died. I did a post mortem, and found that the coelom was filled with blood tinged fluid. Now, I have no experience with PM of amphibians, so can anyone tell me what does that mean? There were no rupture of any organs. The colon was filled with faecal material but it was soft so I don't think it was impacted. The kidney looked a bit macerated but again I have no experience. The stomach was empty but there was a strange black mass adhering on the outside surface that did not look normal. No visible parasites found. The liver looked pale.
Now what I don't understand is why it looked so active and turned back to a normal colour but dies when it was touched by the cricket. It's the oddest behaviour yet! Has anyone any idea? And the PM too. Thanks in advance.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  11:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some frogs and toads change colour when they are stressed, so that could have caused it. Disease usually follows stress as the humune systems doesn't work it's best when the forgs are freaked out.

I would guess that it's some kind of digestive problem, but can't be sure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000