Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  23:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apart for the Regina Lewy, they've been pretty easy.

I found out after I had bought the tinctorius Regina that they are the hardest type of tinc as they are VERY prone to becoming stressed, and hate been moved. Sadly it was too late, and I ended up losing 2 males to a compination of stress and gut parasites. However Dartfrog replaced 1 for free from a different blood line, and touch wood the pair I have seem to be doing ok, the new male is starting to come out a bit more.

I also now use Panacur for all new arrivals, it reduces/gets rid of any gut parasites during the period of high stress, so the stress doesn't lead to the parasites killing the frogs.

The leucs have proven to be SERIOUSLY easy to keep, and VERY bold. A species I would recommend even to an amphibian beginner.

The Azureas seem pretty tough, but are taking longer to settle in and become bold, longer thna the leucs anyway.

I was worried about culturing food for them, without reason. It's EASY. I heartily recommend the ENT kit from Dartfrog, then just get your flies from somewhere else. I also culture tropical springtails, and have the usual custodians in the vivs. I culture bean weevils as well, but to be honest I don't know why, the frogs don't really like them.....

I think it made things easier because I automated so much. The Regina have a fogger on a hygrostat, the Azureas are on a misting system with a seconds timer, the leucs I hand mist. They are seriously addictive as you may have noticed. :)

One thing I advise somebody thinking of trying these, get hold of a European style vivarium (as sold by Dartfrog). They save a lot of messing around, are fruit fly proof and help keep humidity up, and no need for leca or false bottoms. The other thing I advise is to start culturing about 2 months before you get your first frogs, it gives you time to make sure you know what you are doing with it, and you will never run out of food. Final thing I advise, use custodian instects, they double as nice between meal snacks for your frogs. ;)

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Amphibizoid
Pondweed

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  16:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ade,

in that last pic what did you use for the backgroud???

great vivs by the way. :)

Live life to the full or dont bother living it at all......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  13:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We need to culture some springtails for our lot.

Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  20:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya all, sorry I haven't been around lately.

A late answer for you Amphibizoid, the background in that viv is gorilla glue and eco earth. :)

Right, uhm my collection is a lot larger now, I'll do a new thread for the entire collection though rather than trying to cram them in here.

Ade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000