Wound on wild toad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lollypop
Pondweed

1 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  16:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This poor wee guy (I think male) has been hanging around our pond for about 5 weeks now with a sore on his back. I've already taken him to the vet who thought he seemed ok and to return him to the pond. The vet is not very experienced with amphibians - at least I very much got that impression.
(I am trying to upload a picture but the site doesn't seem to let me - any help would be appreciated). Without the picture he has a very open, bloody wound on his head, probably about the size of 2 pound coins, maybe bigger.
He is very sluggish and has got very thin and i just know compared to the other frogs and toads he is just not right. Today I have cleaned up his wound (all sorts of stringy, matted, pond water matter clogged up on his back/head) and have put him in a big box outside with high sides in an effort to keep him away from the pond for a while and cleaner to hopefully let him heal a little better (there is a little shallow dipping pool for him within this though - de-chlorinated water). Meanwhile I wonder if I could be doing more - digging up all sorts of insects etc for him but I don't see him eat much. I've been reading about a betadine solution to help with wounds - is this advisable? Any advice would be welcome, I really want to help get him better and back into the wild. We think he may have been strimmered originally. Thaknks.

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  23:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey lollypop, I too had problems with a vet for amphibians,so I know what your going through. If you click on "frog and toad photos" on main menu there is one at top under "sticky" and it contains great instructions for posting your photos. Easy too!! Nikk
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  10:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I would leave him to it Lollypop- it might seem cruel but nature as a way of working and it's up to nature if he survives or doesn't make it.

Plus human interaction at this time will be stressing him which could be just as dangerous as the wound. Better just keeping an eye on him and hoping he pulls through.

Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  13:05:22  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lollypop

I think your really sweet for taking the little guy to the vet. Just my opinion I would keep it away from the pond with the other toads.. Sometimes fungal infections can spread and wipe out many. I found this page with a few little tips

http://www.reptilesupply.com/article_info.php?articles_id=18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000