New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carolwootton
Pondweed

1 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  09:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I was given an axolotyl for my birthday in july, she was bred from two parents of a friend and given to me at a few weeks old. The parents were not related but she does seem to be deformed slightly, her legs at the back don't get used at all and her front legs don't seem to be like they should, her two brothers that my friend kept both appear ok and i was wondering is this normal?
Also my other question is that I was advised at my local shop to feed her mussles but a friend told me I should feed her a special amphibian diet as she needs to get nutrients.... The guy in the shop said mussles are a natural food source and I was wondering what people thought?
Please help

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  09:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Carol

Have you got any photos of your axie? It might help us to see if we think it's normal or not.

How old is she? Is she fully developed because my axies didn't really used their legs until they'd fully grown.

Never heard of anyone feeding mussels before and I would be worry about the salt residue since mussels are sea creatures and axies are freshwater. If you do decide to use them ensure they are rinsed thoroughly, although I would say earthworms, bloodworms, dahnia and other insects would probably be the safer option.

You can get axolotl pellets which are supposed to give your axie everything it requires, but some axies don't take them readily and I think a varied diet is probably more beneficial. I have pellets which I use every other feed, but I alternate them with live food to ensure they get the best of both worlds.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000