Newt Tank Setup Help for Newbie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cjf2048
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  20:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lad and I are looking to buy some newts, probably Chinese fire belly. We plan to use our 90 litre AR 620 Aqua One Aquarium (62x39x52cm), and to half fill it with water, with some form of floating log or island to provide land.

I have looked for info on the web and found a reasonable amount of info, and it looks like I wont need a heater, but will obviously need a a filter. Can anyone advise on the following.

1) Filter - I know I need one which causes minimum water current, and I am keen for one which does not look too ugly – Can anyone recommend anything specific.

2) How many newts will a tank of this type sustain. I am looking for 4 or 5, but does this sound reasonable

3) Food - I have seen tubes of Aquatic Newt Food which I assume can be the base diet, which we supplement with things like frozen blood worms – does this sound reasonable.

Any help appreciated

cjf2048
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  15:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update

1) just seen the Exo Turtle Basking Cliff (medium) (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/turtle_cliff.php) which is a filter built into a plastic rock and is available from a number of places in UK - Does this look like a reasonable option for newts

3) Just checked out frozen blood worms. They come in frozen cubes, and I suspect one cube is way to big as a single meal for a small handful of newts. How are these normally used - is it a case of defrosting and given for several meals - how long would they keep once defrosted, or can the frozen blocks be cut up while frozen?

Additional question. Plants - I plan a to include a few plastic and a few real plants - is this a reasonable plan

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  16:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It all sounds good from what I can see and what you've described.
In regards the bloodworm 1 cube will do it, you'll be surprised at how much they can eat.

I used to put the cube of bloodworm into an eggcup to defrost with a little bit of water for 40 mins or so before feeding as then the bloodworm would drop into practically one place on the bottom of the tank so it was easier to monitor feeding.

I'd recommend getting yourself a turkey baster as well it's perfect for picking up little bits of debris that will eventually build up on the bottom of the water bit.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would also advise that you do vary the diet a bit too.

Prepared newt food and frozen blood worms are fine, but the odd live food would supe-up the diet too. Think of it like frozen veg for us - perfectly good to have in, but the fresh stuff packs more nutritional value.

As for the filter, I would choose one that's not very disruptive, as amphibians can become stressed if the water is disturbed too much.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000