frog threw up stomach x5 days.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CathyGivens
Pondweed

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  21:15:41  Show Profile  Visit CathyGivens's Homepage  Click to see CathyGivens's MSN Messenger address  Send CathyGivens a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We noticed that our frog Rockett's stomach was out on Saturday at 2 o'clock. It was huge and she could not get it back down. We called a vet from out of town because we could not find any in town who took care of frogs and he told us to assist the frog in swallowing the stomach back, but she would not do it, so we let her be and put her in some warm water to let nature take its course and 5 days later she finally swallowed it back down. She is still staying in her house. She doesn't want to stay in her water. She has not eaten and I put a very small cricket in her tank, but she doesn't want it. I am not sure what to do. It seems like she has known how to take care of herself through all of this more than we do, so I am going to just keep watching and hopefully she will pull through all of this. I am getting new substrate. Apparently, the stuff I have was not safe for frogs. It is a reptile bark. Rockett is 3 years old and we have been learning as we go with her. My grandson brought her home and lost interest and now she is mine. I never thought I could love a frog, but I do. She is one of the family. Any suggestions on getting her to eat again or should I just leave it to her?

Mary C. Givens

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  17:01:20  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are doing everything you can... use eco earth as substrate (coco husk) - there are not large bits that the frog can't digest. usually bark would cause impaction but sometimes like you have found the frog can simply turn itself inside out to get all the contents out of it's stomach.
Vitamin supplments (powered calcium and d3) can be diluted into the water to try and get him back on his feet quicker. keep trying with food... try softer things firstly, wax worms and earth worms (night crawlers in the US) Hope this helps... let us know how he/she gets on!

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000