Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ems
Pondweed

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  21:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I've got an Ornate Horned Frog call Swampy. I've had him for about 6weeks.
He's eaten really well until a week last Friday. Since then he's been sleeping a lot sometimes with one eye shut and one eye open. He burrowed for a day then woke up and went back to sleep. He's always quite active for a horned frog. I've tried to feed him crickets and pinkies and he's opened his mouth to go for them then turned his back! He's now sitting and looks like he's panting. I'm not sure if he normally does this or if i'm just worrying too much and he's hibernating? Please can anyone help?
Thanks
Ems

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  19:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on, I'm sure someone will answer your question soon.
Go to Top of Page

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  22:14:18  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Panting (sticking tongue out etc) usually means he's shedding or sloughing as it's called in frogs. If you look closely he'll be pushing his old skin into his mouth and eating it.

If you're worried, keep an eye on the fellas weight... but these big frogs can usually go a while without food... just don't stress him out, leave him a few days and try again with dusted food - I'd try worms pacman frogs love them and they are great nutritionally, they're soft too so if the crickets are causing a blockage they'll be a better option... get them online or from fishing bait shops.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000