salamander larvae
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_tater
Pondweed

1 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  03:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was out lookin around and i found some baby salamanders in a ditch my question is do all salamanders have four legs when they first hatch or are they like tadpoles and develop legs as they grow,i live in north carolina in the us and i havent been able to find anything about them, they are about an inch long and only have the two front legs and they have a line of small white spots running along their tail, any help would be greatly appreciated if i can figure out what they are i might try to raise a few of them, so also i would like to know what im supposed to feed them as well, anything i can learn about them would be great

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, they develop from larvae, like tadpoles, so they must be really young.

Can't help with the identifying though, but keep looking at local wildlife guides or pictures on Google and it should help.

Before keeping a few you might need to check on the amphibian population in your area. I know here in Europe wild amphibians are on the decline so taking any from the wild would be frowned upon.

They will eat a variety of small insects - earthworms, small flies, small crickets etc.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000