salamander not eating!! help!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tcaa
Pondweed

1 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  16:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im lookin after a marble salamander for my mate thats gone travellin for 3 months.
but it hasnt eaten for roughly a month! she went through everything with me, like mistin the tank and not lettin it get too hot or cold. ive been feedin it a mixture of crickets, mealworms and wax worms,2 a day (not of each) like i was told. everythin was goin smoothly for the 1st month, now its gone down hill. ive tried rubbin the worms on his mouth to tempt him but havent had any luck.
he was really chubby when i got him but now hes gone alittle wrinkly.
PLEASE any advise u could give id be soo grateful !

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  00:14:27  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apols for delay in responding to this post.
Unfortunately I myself can't offer a great deal of advice for you as I don't know a huge deal about these beasties.

One thing I could recommend trying is some nice live earthworms, or if it has a water area then maybe trying some bloodworm.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He may have gone of food because of either the stress of being moved or because of the start of the breeding season.

All I would suggest is to keep trying and maybe, like Kehhlyr says, try an earthworm. My sals loved earthworms so it was a good treat to get them eating.

I would also pick a few woodlice and put them in the tank for him to hunt as and when. They won't hurt him if left uneaten and he might prefer to hunt at night when it's quiet rather than be fed from your hand.

Are you in contact with your friend? Maybe drop them an email and ask their advice. Maybe the slaamander is prone to fasting at this time of year and they may be able to tell you how they normally cope with it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000