Clay balls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  18:12:39  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The set-up I'm creating will have a waterfall running down into a stream and then down into a 2" deep reservoir under the false bottom of the tank. There will be a heatmat under the tank to heat the water. The humidity needs to be pretty much 100% or with a gnat's of it. The waterfall will be powered by an external filter (an Eheim or something similar).

So, my question is this. Would I need a layer of hydroballs under the substrate if the waterfall is on 24/7?

and

If I did put a layer of hydroballs in would that mean that the waterfall could be switched off at night?

Cheers for you advice .

Janos
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  14:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to have them there anyway since they help 'prop up' the false bottom, unless you have something else in there to do that. They're also good for retaining water and contribute towards humidity, but as for whether you *need* them to be there in the kind of setup you've described, then no, but it wouldn't do any harm in my opinion =).
Go to Top of Page

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  14:06:03  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not sure to be honest, If you are using an extrenal filter I wouldn't use them. but just because they'll act like a second filter and will get clogged up and be a nightmare to maintain. At least with the external filter you can change it/clean it easily. whichever way you do it just make sure you can drop the water out for a full clean every now and then so the ammonia levels don't get too high... best to have a hole/drain in the very bottom of the tank with a pipe going to the filter tank... then you can change very easily.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000