New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisLX200
Pondweed

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  07:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earlier this year I was hopeful of seeing youngsters in my small pond, there were at least 3 toads and eggs were laid:

However, none hatched and I'm suspicious that the eggs were never fertilised - is this possible? We did have success with the frog community so the conditions and water quailty are good.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  21:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose it could be possible. Did you see them in ambiplexus? (love hug)

The frogs might have had something to do with it too. If their spawn did well, it might just be a competition thing.

Go to Top of Page

ChrisLX200
Pondweed

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I suppose it could be possible. Did you see them in ambiplexus? (love hug)

The frogs might have had something to do with it too. If their spawn did well, it might just be a competition thing.

Never saw them in ambiplexus, just heard calling constantly for about 2 weeks prior to spawning. The eggs just rotted after a couple of weeks.

Another thing - I thought toads would avoid direct sunshine, not this lot - nothing they liked better than sunbathing in the hottest part of the day (combined with regular dips in the water). In contrast the frogs just hide under rocks and remain half submerged.

Here's one, which would sit for hours on this flat rock with it's 'friend':

I have a few fish in the pond too, and they were spawning as well. They would swim up into the very shallow water just below where the toad (above) was sitting and wriggle about half out of the water. I don't know if the toad took exception to being disturbed this way but whilst I was watching he jumped off the stone and landed... right on top of one of the fish. The fish was pinned for a few seconds before struggling free. Maybe the toad was indicating they should go spawn elsewhere... :))

Edited by - ChrisLX200 on 03/08/2011 17:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  14:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quite possibly

Toads don't tolerate fishies thinking they own the pond

I wonder if they were too hot too. It's weird for them to sunbathe. Maybe he was too busy enjoying the sun and not wanting to make whoopie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000