Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossce
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2011 :  14:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Im new to this forum so firstly hi! secondly, I have brought a pair of tiny Whites Tree frogs and I have read so many things about different substrates - some totally contradicting each other.... so after much thought, I have used T rex jungle bed, with some spaghnum moss on top. I must add that my whites are babies -about 2-3cm long and at the moment, I take them out daily and feed them small dusted crickets from a container (so I can make sure they are eating enough) but am worried now as I have read that small bark can be ingested as can spaghnum moss.... Ideally I'd like a bedding of peat/ earth (similar substance) but not sure what I should be buying? As they grow bigger I want to put their food in their viv but for ease of spot cleaning, its easeir to find any uneaten crickets etc from earth than all that moss and bark. Also I'm finding with the jungle bed bark I'm strugging to spot any small poops which is making spot cleaning quite hard! I have a fake vine, small wood trunk, fake planst combined with a real small swiss cheese plant in there. I'm also finding that by misting twice daily, with the damp spaghnum moss its making the bottom of my truck go mouldy so Im having to wipe it daily (but the hydrometer is stabilised at 70%)

What sort of sucesses are people having with substrates for Whites and what can anyone recommend?

Also, how fast to these guys grow? I'm noticing a change even after 2 weeks!!

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2011 :  11:01:25  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
These little froggies can grow quite quickly, and are cute little dumpy things.

As for substrate, I used a peat and sphag moss mix, similar to what it sounds like you are using, but without any bark.
I did get a mould growing on some of my wood as well, but only when it was in contact with the substrate, so I ended up moving it out and replacing with small plants and artificial 'wood'.

As for the poos, I found a nice water dish was perfect, if I had one of those they never poo'd anywhere else but in that.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

rossce
Pondweed

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2011 :  16:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I feel more re-assured that I'm on the right track. I have a large water dish but have kept it really shallow as theyre only tiny and I dont want them to drown - no poop in that yet though!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  00:29:35  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My water dish was always deep enough so they could get in up to their shoulders(???).

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000