Toad identification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ontarian
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  15:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, while hiking around the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario I stumbled across this little fellow:

He was chilling in some limestone cracks. I tried using google to find out what he was, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Anyone know what type of toad he is?

Thanks

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  02:54:04  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That would be the Tree Toad or what is also called the - Tetraploid Grey Treefrog (Hyla versicolor).

wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_tree_frog

Next challenge please.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

ontarian
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  18:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I actually looked at that Wikipedia article but was not sure, since the frog I stumbled upon blended in with the scenery so amazingly well, that I didn't believe it could actually be just a colour variation. I mean even the lines on its skin and the eyes matched the limestone perfectly.

Another thing that I found weird is that the article describes them as being "strictly nocturnal" whereas this little fellow was moving around in the middle of the day. My guess is we might have startled him as he was resting, which would explain why he was out and about at noon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000