The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frogs & Toads - (Anura)
 Frog & Toad Photos/Videos
 Dart Viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ade Posted - 25/07/2010 : 23:27:25
Ok, I got busy on this earlier today, got the substrate in and the plants I already have. More plants still to go in, but I don't have these yet. Also the lighting will be getting replaced with an Exo Terra triple compact canopy with 2x 2.0 and 1 5.0 ReptiGlo bulbs (26 watt).

I am happy with how it's going so far.

Ade
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ade Posted - 21/06/2011 : 20:49:52
Hiya all, sorry I haven't been around lately.

A late answer for you Amphibizoid, the background in that viv is gorilla glue and eco earth. :)

Right, uhm my collection is a lot larger now, I'll do a new thread for the entire collection though rather than trying to cram them in here.

Ade
Kazerella Posted - 06/04/2011 : 13:59:05
We need to culture some springtails for our lot.
Amphibizoid Posted - 19/03/2011 : 16:54:23
Hi ade,

in that last pic what did you use for the backgroud???

great vivs by the way. :)
Ade Posted - 28/09/2010 : 23:02:02
Apart for the Regina Lewy, they've been pretty easy.

I found out after I had bought the tinctorius Regina that they are the hardest type of tinc as they are VERY prone to becoming stressed, and hate been moved. Sadly it was too late, and I ended up losing 2 males to a compination of stress and gut parasites. However Dartfrog replaced 1 for free from a different blood line, and touch wood the pair I have seem to be doing ok, the new male is starting to come out a bit more.

I also now use Panacur for all new arrivals, it reduces/gets rid of any gut parasites during the period of high stress, so the stress doesn't lead to the parasites killing the frogs.

The leucs have proven to be SERIOUSLY easy to keep, and VERY bold. A species I would recommend even to an amphibian beginner.

The Azureas seem pretty tough, but are taking longer to settle in and become bold, longer thna the leucs anyway.

I was worried about culturing food for them, without reason. It's EASY. I heartily recommend the ENT kit from Dartfrog, then just get your flies from somewhere else. I also culture tropical springtails, and have the usual custodians in the vivs. I culture bean weevils as well, but to be honest I don't know why, the frogs don't really like them.....

I think it made things easier because I automated so much. The Regina have a fogger on a hygrostat, the Azureas are on a misting system with a seconds timer, the leucs I hand mist. They are seriously addictive as you may have noticed. :)

One thing I advise somebody thinking of trying these, get hold of a European style vivarium (as sold by Dartfrog). They save a lot of messing around, are fruit fly proof and help keep humidity up, and no need for leca or false bottoms. The other thing I advise is to start culturing about 2 months before you get your first frogs, it gives you time to make sure you know what you are doing with it, and you will never run out of food. Final thing I advise, use custodian instects, they double as nice between meal snacks for your frogs. ;)

Ade
lewy Posted - 28/09/2010 : 17:00:54
Wow Ade - been busy for what I thought was only a few weeks... you have loads of Darts! Them and their setups look great - how you getting along with them?
Ade Posted - 27/09/2010 : 11:08:01
Thanks Raven. :)
raven76 Posted - 25/09/2010 : 12:16:36
wow you did such a beautiful job.... their home looks wonderful!!
Ade Posted - 22/09/2010 : 12:06:22
Thanks. I've actually done 2 more since them, 40 cm cubes, European style dendrobate vivs from Dartfrog:-

This one is housing:-

The second one is still empty of animals:-

I will only be doing 3 more, 30cm x 30cm x 40cm ones for thumbnail species.

Ade
nikk Posted - 21/09/2010 : 22:47:14
Those are truly awsome.
Kazerella Posted - 10/09/2010 : 10:56:49
Fantastic set ups Ade- you could go into business selling these
Ade Posted - 28/08/2010 : 15:47:27
Just a quick pic of how the 2nd dart viv is developing:-

The majority of the moss is from a Namibia Terra dried moss and lichen pack, dirt cheap and mostly still green so hopefully will bounce back.

Ade
Ade Posted - 19/08/2010 : 14:57:31
Sadly my suspicions that there was something wrong with the frog in that picture were correct. I had been worrying about it since last night, it was very slow moving and seemed to be lying funny with it's legs sticking out.

Sadly it hasn't made it. Really upset by this, and now have to phone the seller about it. Poor little thing.

Ade
Ade Posted - 19/08/2010 : 11:44:42
Ok, got a couple as promised, from a distance, but the 1st I managed to use the zoom.

and one to give you a better idea of size, as they are still fairly young but had just reached the age at which Marc could sex them:-

2 males, 1 female if you wondered.

Ade
Ade Posted - 19/08/2010 : 11:30:47
We have our first dart frogs. :)

Picked them up from Dartfrog yesterday (where I had a good chat about how hard the morph was to keep etc, and discussed my viv and whether it would be ok, whilst seriously enjoying looking at the phibs and day geckos he has there... :) ), 3 dendrobates tinctorius 'Regina'. I've read a few posts etc suggesting these to be a bit fiddly, but Marc assured me that he has had no problems with them at all, so fingers crossed.

Seen all 3 of them earlier, and they started hunting the minute they were in the viv, snacking on springtails and mozzies that had flown in when I had the doors open. 2 of them also had a good meal of Nutrabal dusted fruit flies last night. So really hoping they are settling in ok.

I know this is the pics forum, but I don't want to poke the camera at them until I am certain they have fully settled in. I will however try to get a pic from a distance of them when they are next out and about in their new home.

Ade
Ade Posted - 15/08/2010 : 14:56:02
Thanks. :) White's would trash a lot of the plants in those vivs though, big footed thugs they are. lol I am sure you will have a great looking viv for them though. Some good plants for White's are prayer plants and pothos, tough as anything and you can make a really nice display with them. :)

Ade

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000