Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  23:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got busy on this earlier today, got the substrate in and the plants I already have. More plants still to go in, but I don't have these yet. Also the lighting will be getting replaced with an Exo Terra triple compact canopy with 2x 2.0 and 1 5.0 ReptiGlo bulbs (26 watt).

I am happy with how it's going so far.

Ade

Bufo Bill
Pondweed

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  18:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dude. You planning on breeding in there or are you waiting until you've found your feet so to speak?
All the best from Bill.

Bufo Bill: Animal keeper and professional geek.
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  21:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hoping to breed. I've actually got dibs on a pair of Azureas, arranged to pick them up from Sheffield in a couple of weeks. :) I've actually added to it a bit since this pic:-

At the moment it's also housing 3 bulbophyllum lobbi and 3 more broms as well which are in there until another viv comes (last one came smashed), yup, another dart frog viv. lol 2 of the bulbos are on pieces of xaxim, the 3rd is on a xaxim trunk which is already getting moss growing on it since been put in this viv.

Oh and the Epi Web moss mix is actually doing quite will in this one, I even have a small seedling. :)

Ade

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  21:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I have pretty much finished this one now:-

It's growing in very nicely. No frogs yet still though.

Oh, and I've gone and made another, this time with a false bottom and a water feature. Viv is a 46x46x60 ZooMed:-

Ade
Go to Top of Page

jon.e5
Pondweed

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  08:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work Ade, I hope my White's terrarium turns out this nice.
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. :) White's would trash a lot of the plants in those vivs though, big footed thugs they are. lol I am sure you will have a great looking viv for them though. Some good plants for White's are prayer plants and pothos, tough as anything and you can make a really nice display with them. :)

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  11:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have our first dart frogs. :)

Picked them up from Dartfrog yesterday (where I had a good chat about how hard the morph was to keep etc, and discussed my viv and whether it would be ok, whilst seriously enjoying looking at the phibs and day geckos he has there... :) ), 3 dendrobates tinctorius 'Regina'. I've read a few posts etc suggesting these to be a bit fiddly, but Marc assured me that he has had no problems with them at all, so fingers crossed.

Seen all 3 of them earlier, and they started hunting the minute they were in the viv, snacking on springtails and mozzies that had flown in when I had the doors open. 2 of them also had a good meal of Nutrabal dusted fruit flies last night. So really hoping they are settling in ok.

I know this is the pics forum, but I don't want to poke the camera at them until I am certain they have fully settled in. I will however try to get a pic from a distance of them when they are next out and about in their new home.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  11:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, got a couple as promised, from a distance, but the 1st I managed to use the zoom.

and one to give you a better idea of size, as they are still fairly young but had just reached the age at which Marc could sex them:-

2 males, 1 female if you wondered.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  14:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sadly my suspicions that there was something wrong with the frog in that picture were correct. I had been worrying about it since last night, it was very slow moving and seemed to be lying funny with it's legs sticking out.

Sadly it hasn't made it. Really upset by this, and now have to phone the seller about it. Poor little thing.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2010 :  15:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick pic of how the 2nd dart viv is developing:-

The majority of the moss is from a Namibia Terra dried moss and lichen pack, dirt cheap and mostly still green so hopefully will bounce back.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  10:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic set ups Ade- you could go into business selling these

Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are truly awsome.
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  12:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I've actually done 2 more since them, 40 cm cubes, European style dendrobate vivs from Dartfrog:-

This one is housing:-

The second one is still empty of animals:-

I will only be doing 3 more, 30cm x 30cm x 40cm ones for thumbnail species.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wow you did such a beautiful job.... their home looks wonderful!!
Go to Top of Page

Ade
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  11:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Ade's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Raven. :)
Go to Top of Page

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Ade - been busy for what I thought was only a few weeks... you have loads of Darts! Them and their setups look great - how you getting along with them?

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000