The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Newts & Salamanders (Caudata)
 Salamanders
 So excited!!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 24/02/2009 : 10:17:14
I'm going to be a mummy!

Just ordered some Axolotl spawn of exotic pets They send out 20 eggs so with a bit of luck and some extra special care from me and Lewy we should have some baby Axolotls soon.

It's only £10.40 delivered so if anyone else fancies rearing some babies visit now before they sell out:

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/referrer.php?ref=15479

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 23/03/2009 : 16:42:12
The water was fine I think, and the cold wouldn't hurt them.

Our two main theories is that they were allergic to one of the plants or that the batch of Daphnia they were eating was contanminated. To me that seems the most likely because they only started to die off when they got big enough to eat and hunt for Daphnia.

It's a double edged sword though finding the food. Some people say don't get micro food from a pond because it might be contaminated and have parasites in, whilst others say don't buy live daphnia from a shop because it might be contaminated. We went with the shop, just because the pond water we collected had loads of scarey looking beasties in, but we'll never know I suppose
Paulusworm Posted - 23/03/2009 : 10:08:47
Nightmare . You must be gutted.

Did you test the water for ammonia levels, nitrate levels, pH, etc? Just trying to think of things I checked when I had mass a die-off in my fish tank. Were you heating the water to take the edge off the cold?
Kazerella Posted - 23/03/2009 : 09:53:39
I don't know. If I knew what we had done wrong then I probably would try, but without knowing what happened it's a bit scary

Plus we've just mated the corns so that's our priority now.

Lewy said he would buy me an adult one, but I told him it wouldn't be the same. There's only one Dervish
Jain Posted - 22/03/2009 : 16:19:38
Really sorry to hear that chick! Are you going to try again with any more?
matty18714 Posted - 22/03/2009 : 16:06:48
Kazerella Posted - 22/03/2009 : 12:50:45
Dervish died overnight. I am gutted
Jain Posted - 21/03/2009 : 17:42:00
Awwwww... really sorry to hear that.... been off line for a few days cos chucked a cup of coffee all over laptop so had to get a new one!!... and return to such bad news! Hope your last little fella makes it... When we used to have axies years ago, we had an undertank filter, so no problem with waterflow!
matty18714 Posted - 21/03/2009 : 09:26:41
Awww sorry guys
Kazerella Posted - 21/03/2009 : 09:24:43
lewy Posted - 21/03/2009 : 08:59:18
Bad news! all have died except the biggest one (Dervish). We're gutted, It's sad to get them so far then lose so many so quick. We've put him in a smaller tank and did a complete water change. There's so many things it could be, from contaminated food to stress from the water filter. We're going to stop using the filter and do full water changes each day.

Hopefully dervish will be strong and make it through!
matty18714 Posted - 20/03/2009 : 16:41:09
Sorry about the unhealthy few Kaz, but its good news about the healthy nine
Kazerella Posted - 20/03/2009 : 09:54:29
Some bad news- we've had a few casualties in the axie tank. Fished a few bodies out yesterday, which was really upsetting, but by the looks of it they were all ones that hadn't hatched or developed properly so not overally worried that it's something I could've avoided.

Good news though- we definitely have 9 healthy looking axies that are growing and doing well. They also have red food inside them so I'm taking it that they are eating Daphnia too, which is good because we aren't so reliant on microworms now.

They are learning to swin a lot better and are not spending so much time on the bottom. I also noticed a couple of the wild types actively hunting. I think they are doing well
lewy Posted - 17/03/2009 : 16:58:10
Too small for him Matty - He's on Large Fuzzy Mice at the moment - As well as Grasshoppers, worms, and as many crickets as you give him. He's a proper porker

Have got loads more photos to put up of the axolotls just not had time to get them off the camera and post them up.
matty18714 Posted - 17/03/2009 : 16:31:37
Feed it to TMA
Kazerella Posted - 17/03/2009 : 13:09:08
Nothing- it's still exactly same as the day it arrived

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000