Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  10:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be a mummy!

Just ordered some Axolotl spawn of exotic pets They send out 20 eggs so with a bit of luck and some extra special care from me and Lewy we should have some baby Axolotls soon.

It's only £10.40 delivered so if anyone else fancies rearing some babies visit now before they sell out:

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/referrer.php?ref=15479

matty18714
Wanna be 'Dude of Dampness'

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  16:00:46  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"no more pets" eh? What do you have to do with the eggs for them to hatch?

Good luck

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  16:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Put them in shallowish aerated water and keep them at about 22 degrees.

They should hatch within about 2 weeks, and that's when it'll get hard. Got to get them some microfood and make sure we have enough of a supply to last them until they can take larger items.

They aren't really new pets, as I think we will sell or re-home some of them. They should be kept singuly as adults anyway so we'll not have the space if we successfully raise quite a few The eggs are from a mixed pond though so there's chances the babies can be either albino, wild type or golden. It'll be nice to see how they grow and develop, as well as being a surprise on what type we get. We'll definitely keep one whatever happens.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  11:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have arrived!!!

Good job I set the tank up last night innit. Super fast delivery.

Can't wait to finish work so I can rush to Lewy's mums to pick them up.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pic's

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooohhhhhhh.... happy nappy days!!! or something similar... whatever it takes in axy rearing Hope it goes well... J

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are doing alright so far, but still got to get ourselves a daphnia culture going (urgently). Still not decided what the best option should be- wild caught from a pond (risking bringing in disease and parasites, but readily available and free) or buying from a stockist (so far no stockist found in local area so might have to internet it which will mean more vital days lost). Should get it sorted by the weekend though, me and Lewy are going on a mission.

The eggs are minute at the moment though- little dots in jelly. I've been talking to them

Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  10:11:35  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here you go - Some pics of the dots!
Hopefully they'll hatch and become more than dots

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of them is called Dervish, he's my special spot

Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  12:02:01  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
which one is Dervish again??

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  14:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The one on his own away from all the others (bottom left on first pic). That's my boy! Hope he's a wild type.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  17:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my god! I can't believe how quickly they are developing!

I left this morning and they were still spots. I came home after just 8 long hours of work and they've morphed into a kidney bean shape already!

This is fantastic. Lewy has got his posh camera at work, but he'll no doubt post pictures of their development tonight.

Only trouble is one of the eggs is still spot shaped- either that's a slow developer or it's not viable. Fingers crossed he's just lazier than his siblings.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope Dervish is growing well

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  19:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's changed into a bean. He's my little growing lad

Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  20:53:37  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's another of the beans:

more Day 2 up in the photo diary

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  21:14:48  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long until they..er..hatch?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000